What's new

What is your favorite brush for creams? And your favorite for soaps?

I exclusively bowl lather (except when traveling) and am on the search for the best brush (yes...I am aware that this is elusive and expensive) :cursing:

Nonetheless I am curious as to what are the favorites of B&B'ers?

Currently I love Simpson's Colonel X2L for both creams and soaps, Semogue 1305 for soaps and Shavemac 177 for creams (and sometimes soaps.)

What do other B&B'ers recommend?:

Last edited:
You already have some excellent brushes there! With regards to your second question...well, B&Bers seem to be using everything 'badger' or 'boar' under the sun :)

I like my Savile Row 3824 for creams (though it works just as well with soaps) and my Simpson Duke 3 in best for soaps.

I am a soap shaver and all of my brushes perform well on the puck. I like large brushes, medium-sized brushes and smaller brushes as well. Variety is the spice of life!

i must be in the minority that really takes no issue between soap and cream brushes... if it's a shaving brush, it's lathering whatever soap or cream i fee like using.. oddly enough i feel the same way about face lathering.. i don't seem to take favorites based on those variables.

M&F blonde for soaps. Don't use creams. I don't think I'd use a brush specifically for them if I did.

But why are you polling people? What's popular and what's best for you aren't necessarily the same thing.

M&F blonde for soaps. Don't use creams. I don't think I'd use a brush specifically for them if I did.

But why are you polling people? What's popular and what's best for you aren't necessarily the same thing.

It's an awfully good way to solicit opinions, though.

My brushes work equally well with soaps and creams, but I find that I best like my Simpson 57 when using soaps, and Kent BLK4 when using creams.

Shavemac 410 (177 w/ black handle) in 23mm works pretty well for both creams and soaps. If I exclusively used soaps I might consider a fan-shaped or flat-topped Shavemac instead of the bulb-shaped 410. I dislike any form of scratchiness in a brush, and the backbone of the Shavemac makes up for the soft tips in soap lathering.

I have 5-7 favorites and they all are equal when it comes to soaps or creams.

I would not want a specific product brush.

Just trying to get an idea of what brushes fellow B&Bers enjoy using. My favorite at the moment is the Colonel X2L but am looking to add a brush that I will likely use exclusively for creams. Ideally looking for something with a longer handle...

It's an awfully good way to solicit opinions, though.

My brushes work equally well with soaps and creams, but I find that I best like my Simpson 57 when using soaps, and Kent BLK4 when using creams.

I have been looking at the Kent...

My favorite brush for cream is my 2009 Kent B&B LE. I bowl lather creams with it.

For soaps right now I love my Rooney 1 size 2 in super. I face lather soaps with it.

Right now:

Simpson Emperor 3 Two Band Super Badger for bowl/scuttle lathering creams
Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL Super Badger for face lathering soaps

But this may soon change.... I have a Savile Row 3824, a Semogue SOC boar, and a Semogue 830 boar on the way.

Ben

soaps = Duke 2 (there is no second place... Duke 2 is just so far ahead of the pack)

Creams = Kent BK8 - OR - Da Vinci 290 (have not decided which I like the best as both are killer with creams in a bowl/scuttle)

proxy.php

agreed. I don't believe there is a "best brush".
that being said, creams: my TGN finest
soaps: my tgn fnest
22mm TGN finest badger 50mm knot, handle drilled the handle upon arrival to find the sweet spot in the knot. finest does well when adequately moisturized. Have a soap? a hard one? let it soak 2-3 mts only and it still has enough backbone to pick up the soap. just dip the brush in water more after mopping up the soap and lathering. (I only face lather)

Top Bottom