What's new

What is your favorite brush for creams? And your favorite for soaps?

I find I have gravitated toward using creams over the last 12 months (Bigelow's Proraso, Tabac) and for these I just use my everyday brush, which is my favorite: my Rooney NOS I bought a few months ago. I like it for soaps as well. I've tried my Vie-Long 13061 HH for soaps, especially MWF, and I am dissatisfied with the brush's performance. I'm waiting for a boar to come from the special offer via B&B: The Essential Brush (below), so I'll see how that works.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only using one brush right now, a Kent BK4 and it's doing well with both creams and soaps, but (of course) it lathers the creams so much more quickly that I've been using creams mostly just due to the convenience of it. Really want to get a Rudy Vey or Whipped Dog if the missus will allow such things...

I've got a Shavemac Silvertip (model 22580) that works wonderfully on creams (still trying to get it to work right with soaps). As far as soaps go, I don't think I've seen anything lather as well as the omega professional boar that I have. It is just a soap lathering machine. Easily makes some of the best lather, and it's soft on the face as well. I can't say enough good things about this $10 brush.

I recently acquired one of the B&B essential boar brushes as well, so looking forward to breaking it in and trying it out.

My favorite brush is a Simpson Colonel. It is a great all around brush for both soaps and creams as well as face or bowl lathering.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I was wondering when Kent started getting more popular again, then I noticed the dates of the earlier posts. Necromancy! Oh well. I like my Chubby 1 Super for shave sticks, chubby 2 Manchurian for soap pucks, and Thater 4125/2 3 Band Bulb for creams.

This picture below will tell you a trillion words is a Whipped Dog is fantastic for shaving cream and hard soap and you can thank me later :thumbup:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Actually all the brushes in my rotation are Simpsons in best badger, and my favorite one is whichever one I'm using at the time. They are work well with soaps or creams. That said, I usually don't lather smaller soap containers with my Chubby 2, I've just saved it for creams and larger diameter soaps, not that it probably wouldn't work just fine.

I only face lather hard soaps. So not sure my experience is directly relevant.

My favorite brand is Simpsons in best, but the choice depends on the day (Chubby, Duke, Classic or Fifty series)!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have a Vulfix 660 Super Badger that feels great on the face but doesn't really have enough backbone to dig into the harder soaps. Because of this it is my primary cream brush. My favorite for harder soaps is my Semogue Owners Club.

Its really too bad they aren't as popular now as they were! I plan to get a Blk8 at some point, probably my next purchase.

Keep an eye on the Shopping & Deals forum for a sale. There's a British site that puts them on a steep discount a few times a year. They usually retail for around US$200, but this site (I forget the name, but I bought mine from them) puts them up for under $100. I think mine was about 92 bucks, a few years ago (on sale, of course).

I currently have badgers, boars and synthetic brushes in my arsenal. I've found that they all work with both creams and soaps.

Top Bottom