What's new

What the hatred for Twist-O-Flex watch bands?

I have noticed MUCH dislike for the classic Speidel Twist-O-Flex on every watch forum I have visited and in various blogs. WHY?? These are the most comfortable things on planet Earth. In the summer your wrist expands and in winter it gets smaller and the Speidel can be worn comfortably in any season if properly fitted....they also look good enough and are more sturdy than a leather strap.
Please enlighten me on why they have such a bad rap, Is it just their price that makes them seem "low class"? Fill me in!
Wp

I think there is a bias against them for two reasons. First, as previously, noted, they can pinch and pull arm hairs. Second, the gold colored ones were very cheaply made and the gold color wore off very quickly making it seem as if all Speidel bands were garbage.

I think there is a bias against them for two reasons. First, as previously, noted, they can pinch and pull arm hairs. Second, the gold colored ones were very cheaply made and the gold color wore off very quickly making it seem as if all Speidel bands were garbage.

Yep - right on the money. I refuse to shave the hair of my wrist so I can wear a watch - there are other alternatives.

Legion

Staff member
There are times, like working around moving machinery, when having a Twist-o-flex might be an advantage.

I've never used a Twist-o-flex band, but you are right, having a weak point in a band can be good. I was in a car wreck once, and I was wearing an all titanium watch. Something, possibly the airbag going off, ripped the watch from my wrist. Luckily there were two pins in the band that were not titanium and they broke, possibly saving me from worse injury. As it was, you could see every link of the band imprinted into my wrist as a different bruise.

They pinch the hairs on my arm, I don't like them at all.
My father used to wear a wrist-band, like you'd find a tennis player wearing, and then wear his watch on top of that. He didn't like the hair-pinching, and he said that watch bands made him sweat and itch too much. Hence, the wrist-band.

I haven't worn a wrist-watch in about 25 years, because I can't find one that's even remotely comfortable. Even without a timepiece handy, I can generally know what time it is within 15 minutes or so. I finally got a Cell-phone about 6 years ago, and with that, I can tell time accurately again ... although my boss is always yelling at me when I pull it out to check the time.

There are very few SS link bracelets that I can tolerate, and leather is only good if you know you aren't going to be doing anything except standing around (sweat absolutely destroys leather, lizard, or any skin strap). Rubber works but I just don't care for it (they trap sweat). Maratec Zulu straps, like those sold by Howard Marx, are my solution, as they are comfortable, hypoallergenic (for those with sensitivity to metals, especially nickel) washable, and just about indestructible. Available in many sizes, too. While not stretchy-flexible, they don't pinch, and are lightweight. While wrist watches are now considered to be jewelry, I like glancing at my wrist rather than digging in my jeans pocket for my mobile phone, turning it on and so on. Getting the time shouldn't be laborious.

It probably has more to do with the cost of the bands. Most better bracelets are links and pins. The twist o flex and cheaper bands use hollow links and folded links and springs and things which can catch hairs. In my younger days I've worn them and they can come off very easily.

Hair pullers, only until you have no hair left to pull, then if you are not wearing your watch you have the bald wrist. I would only use it on an inexpensive watch if that was my only option. The one I had failed, only I do not know when so I lost the watch too.

Some interesting views are expressed above in favor of a break-away watchband. They are certainly worth considering.

Hmmm Well seems there are TONS of reasons people don't like em :)
I myself have worn twist o Flex on every watch I have owned since I was ten years old (1980) and have yet to have one break on me or seem unsecured. As to pulling the hair on my arm that one particular spot has no hair on it from a watch being there continuously for 31 years :) I dig Twist O Flex
Wp

The look reminds me of a 1960's NASA Engineer with a short sleeve white shirt, tie, crewcut, and thick glasses.

There is a very long time friend of my father's and mine that has put one on his Rolex Presidential. However he does have a debilitating nerve disease which has the same affects as Parkinson’s. I think putting on the watch alone was becoming too difficult.

Top Bottom