What's new

Fineline and Esterbrook Fountain Pens

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I picked up a really nice 1950's lever fill Fineline fountain pen this weekend, and was quite surprised to see while cleaning it that it was made by "The Fineline Division" of Sheaffer.

Why would Sheaffer make an entire line separating themselves from a well known and established name?

Any opinions on the Fineline as far as quality and useability?

Also snagged a very nice early 40's Esterbrook

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Lots of companies had sub-brands, Sheaffer also had WASP pens. I'm not sure what the rationale was to do that, but usually these were budget priced and not as high quality. Many of these are quite usable and attractive, just not on the same tier as the main brand and probably had less of a warranty.

We will need a pic, BTW.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Lots of companies had sub-brands, Sheaffer also had WASP pens. I'm not sure what the rationale was to do that, but usually these were budget priced and not as high quality. Many of these are quite usable and attractive, just not on the same tier as the main brand and probably had less of a warranty.

We will need a pic, BTW.

Makes sense. It's soaking as it is quite stiff with dried ink in the sac. As soon as I get it fairly functional I'll post it (and the early 1940's Esterbrook lever fill Dollar Pen I snagged).

My fingertips look like they belong to an old Eskimo (wrinkled and blue) :lol:

if you need a new sac, tryphon, pen sac company, or woodbin.ca have replacements. don't forget shellac and talc powder.

talc. maybe a drug store, but online at those sites I mentioned. I bought a pound of it on ebay and I'll send you some if you PM me your addy.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Took a while, but both the Fineline and the Esterbrook are now functioning perfectly.

$IMG_20110724_175328.jpg

$IMG_20110724_175410.jpg

$IMG_20110724_175645.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, awesome pens! That Dollar pen (often called a two hole clip) is a sweet looking pen.

Nice. I saw a beautiful Sheaffer at the flea market this morning. Lady took it out of the case to show me and my jaw nearly dropped off... until I saw the missing tipping. It was a very transparent light brown vac-fil with a triumph nib - probably a fine - but the daggum thing was broken! :( And she wanted $30!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nice. I saw a beautiful Sheaffer at the flea market this morning. Lady took it out of the case to show me and my jaw nearly dropped off... until I saw the missing tipping. It was a very transparent light brown vac-fil with a triumph nib - probably a fine - but the daggum thing was broken! :( And she wanted $30!!

I know what you mean. I frequent these stores a LOT, and I am amazed at some of the prices that people expect to get for junk.
Can't tell you the number of broken Parkers I've seen for 200 dollars or the no name straight razor with a broken blade for 100 dollars because of the peacock scales they are in.

I got the Fineline for 5 bucks and the Esterbrook set me back 8, so there are bargains out there, and generally I get to know which booths have unrealistic expectations on their goods (like the ones with the 40 dollar Gillette Aluminum Travel Tech in a vinyl pouch :lol:)

You got very good prices on those pens. Nib tuning is another addictive side of the hobby that I've grown quite fond of. I'm not the best - but I have fun with it, and do a decent job.

Top Bottom