What's new

Noob head shaver- 1st HS done tonight- Questions for experienced Head Shavers

I searched for info about head shaving, didn't find much in the way of how-to. So I guessed. This whole endevour is one big experiment.

I used the clippers to shorten my hair as short as the clippers would make it. I'm guessing 1/8". Then used my biggest brush (Rooney 3/1) and Proraso to head lather. After a suitable time I popped a new Rite-Aid SE blade into a G-Bar and went to town. The first blade did maybe 1/3 of my head before it wouldn't cut anymore. I wound up using 4 blades. Is that to be expected?

Finished and after showering, again, more guessing, used the alum block 'cause I know I nicked myself once and I had some micro bumps on the head that I sliced off. Then some Bay Rum to finish the shave.

I suppose I did ok. No large amount of blood from the head wounds. I did expect a closer shave, but for noob status and not being able to see the angle, I guess it's OK. I still have both ears and I guess that counts for something.

Comments? Anything I can do to make it better next time, other than not nicking myself (I got that! :) ).

Is a SE the tool to use? Would a DE last longer? I thought 4 blades to be a bit excessive. Or is there a YMMV factor for head hair too? I have other SE razors, would a OCMM work better do you think?

This is the one area I still use a cartridge. I use the Headblade and love it. They make a great shaving product called headslick which is a non-lathering and really slick shave balm. My last bottle lasted about 2 years. Also, I use the Wilkinson Sword 2 blade carts from Wal-Mart because the headblade carts are too expensive. One cartridge last me about 2 weeks but I don't have much hair left on the top of my head. Pretty much just a horseshoe.

I'm not sure if that helps much.

Last edited:
I use my DE's to shave my head and it doesn't dull 1 blade, what kind of blades are you using? You must have some really tough hair. I try the headblade, another overpriced piece of plastic with expensive cartridges that clug quickly and I wasn't impressed, I perfer DE's for the head.

I use the Wilkonson sword blades from Wally world on an Atra handle and whatever the soap of the day is. I've found that if you shave everyday or every other day it's easier because of less growth, I also shave in the shower.

I shave in the shower with a ej89l same blade I used on face , I use the headslick as well .the head blade itself i also think is garbage its flipped on me and took a huge chuck out of my head a couple times , plus the carts clog and are way to expensive . I cant immagine going through four blades , maybe try a diffrent blade choice . I use voskhods , raspira lux, and ladas same blades I prefer on face

Thanks guys.

The blade was a Rite-Aid Gem. Carbon steel.

I do have a very thick head of hair. Stylists who have cut my hair have commented on the difficulty of cutting it.

Yeah 4 blades sorta threw me too. I'm pretty sure it wasn't lousy angle. I'll try shaving it frequently and see what happens. It was an experiment and if it gets to be too much maintenance I'll just go back to using the clippers every 2 weeks. I'll also play around with blades, but the Rite-Aid Gems generally give me a full week of face shaves, shaving every day. The hair on my head is a lot thicker than my facial hair though. I had to drain the sink 3 times to remove the shaved hairs to get usable clear water to rinse the razor off.

I'll also pick up some headslick. I've seen it in Rite-Aid.

Hmm... you dulled four different blades?

What were your passes like?

It'll take you a few tries to start learning your head geometry - there might be unexpected nooks, bumps and crannies you never knew about.

Give it another shot in a couple days, it will get easier.

Alrighty. I have been shaving my head for some time now. I use a headblade, fusion razor and just tried using a DE last night.
When I first started, I had to get rid of that hair to a manageable level. I used a set of electric clippers to get my hair down as close as I can.
Wet the head, lathered to the best of my ability and shaved.
From experience, head hair tends to clog up the blade fast. So I used short strokes and rinsing the blade after each stroke. This takes a lot of time at first.
From the front of the head that I can see in the mirror, I stroke to the back of the head. After the front is done, I start at my neck in the back and shave to the top. I use my free hand to feel for hair in the back as I shave. When using a DE last night, I just did the front and top of my head with the it, then switched to the headblade for the back.
It gets easier if you shave on a semi-daily basis. I sometimes let my head go for a couple of days before shaving it again. I usually do one pass with touch ups.
According to their website: "The HeadBlade® Sport comes standard with the HB TripleBlade, and is compatible with Gillette® Atra® and Sensor cartridges."
Personally, I am going to work on shaving with the DE more on the head once I get more comfortable with it.
Let me know if this helped.

I generally shave my head daily so DE is a far too time consuming tool for the job. I just use a cheap wilkinson sword 3 blade cart and one cartridge lasts a couple of weeks. I can shave it quickly in the shower and not have to worry about nicking myself. In fact I've only ever nicked myself when trying out a DE on my head and I've been doing this for a couple of years now

I have never used a se for my head. I use a de and find that I get at least 3 shaves out of even the worst of blades. My advice is to use an adjustable DE. Do two passes one at setting 7 and one at maybe 3 or 4. Go slow and don't put any preassure. Use a shave oil to prep and a good quality cream.

Honestly, I have been shaving my head daily for a few years now , and just started using a DE about 2 months ago. For a newbie, I would go with Fusion and Bald Guyz shave gel. This is a great way to get started and won't take too much time so you won't get discouraged. It willl also leave you with no cuts, and minimal razor burn if any, and a nice shiny head. After a few months of this practice, then switch to a DE.

I use a 39C Slant on my head, it only takes 1 pass plus touchups, and I use the same blade for my face - I get 3 head/face shaves out of each Personna Red. I have VERY thick hair, so using 4 blades sounds very excessive. Try a DE and see if you get a little more joy out of it. I also find the longer handled razors are easier for the head, as you can get the angles a little better in the back, etc. I had shaved my head for 15 years prior, mostly with a Mach III, but I do find the slant gives me a better shave, same number of passes/touchups, and after the first couple days, I don't cut myself ever with the DE.

I've used a Fusion cart to shave my head for years. I just made the switch to a DE for my face yesterday, and decided to try the DE on my head as well. Slower, but not bad.

The cart is easier because you don't have to worry about blade angle on the back of your head where you can't see. I can easily see myself using a DE for the face, and a cart for the head, especially on workday mornings where I'm usually a little more rushed. Weekends will be DE on head and face.

BTW, a nice menthol cream like Proraso/Bigelow applied with a brush to the head is a really nice feeling, as it something like Aqua Velva all over the face and head on a warm day.

Cheers!

DE works really well on my head, 2 passes + touch up leaves my head feeling like a vellum covered bowling ball, and I just use whatever soap I'm using on my face.

Shave your head at night if you need more time in the mornings, it'll feel a little rough the next day but will still look DFS, only people who touch your head will know its not quite BBS.

PS Must get some of this headslick stuff to try.

Last edited:
I also use my DE razor to shave my head. I do 2 ATG passes and then a bit of touch up if needs be and it's smooth as anything. Slap a bit of AS balm on and you're good to go.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was shaving my 'nogging' once a week (Sundays), using either my Merkur's 23C OR 38C using Shark SC blades, but now have changed to using single-blade disposables for speed and convenience and actually get a BBS headshave (Yeah Baby!!!), without any problems, nicks and bumps. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut [or shave]". Daniel S. Greenberg

I used to shave with a headblade all the time and hated how the carts got clogged up and switched over to using the gillette guard razor and have no intention on going back to the headblade unless they make an adaptor to use the gillette guard cartridges. I actually contacted headblade about this but they didnt seem at all interested.

I've used an open comb Merkur DE 1904 before - I like an open comb because I only shave my head every few weeks.

But recently I've been using an Open Comb Micromatic with Gem SE blades, and I get a really good result from it. Last time was super-close, without even a nick. Just the one blade was all I needed, and it wasn't even a new one - I'd already had several face shaves from it. But my hair is really quite fine and soft, so I can't compare with someone with strong hair.

For lathering, last time I used a Semogue 1305 boar and, I think, Proraso green.

It strikes me a Schick injector razor would work well for head shaving. I just got one and when I get an injector blade dispenser, I'll try it.

Top Bottom