What's new

Flex Nibs, Where to Find Them?

Now my interest has shifted to Flex nibs. I would like to know if you guys know of any place that sells nibs I wanna know if I can just buy a nib and swap it with one of the current ones I have in my pens. I have been looking on line but it seems like all I run into is vintage flex nib pens that seem to be very expensive.

I know that there's the Noodler's Flex pen but that's out of stock.

Some info on how to use a Flex nib. I thing it looks very cool.

http://www.vintagepen.net/how-to-use-flex-nibs.html

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The advent of carbon paper started the decline of flex nib sales in fountain pens. There are plenty of pens from the 20s and 30s that have them, Waterman had some of the best, Sheaffer hardly ever had them. I've gotten some good ones from broken pens but your best bet is a pen show. Otherwise it's really a crap shoot.

Dip pens are probably the best way to try them out, practice your technique, and get a feeling for how much flex you want or need.

I have gotten 5 pens, 4 of which are wet noodles from Mauricio's website. I love them all, and that website is the most reliable resource and source of knowing what you will get. Good luck!

Mauricio from vintagepens is a very nice guy - and is VERY knowledgeable. We're in the same pen club here in Arkansas, so I get to play with all his favorites on a regular basis. :)

Send him an email and ask anything. He does have loose nibs, but not sure how often he parts with them. If you let him know you're interested in a beater, I bet he'd have something for you.

The most economical way of getting a very high quality semi-flex set up is to buy a NOS Esterbrook "flex" nib and get an Esterbrook J to put it in (with any ol' nib). Very easy to replace yourself.

The old Esterbrook flex nibs seem to give mixed results. You might be better off getting a Noodler's flex pen for $14. Those nibs are pretty nice. THey dry out between uses though. I put tape over the little vent holes in the caps on mine to help with that. You might be able to find an old Swan on ebay.uk for a pretty good price. Those nibs are simply delicious.

I second Mauricio, he's great to work with and has access to a ton of vintage flex nibs. We got a couple from him last year before all the Noodler's ones came out. Vintage tends to get pricey, though.

If you can wait just a few more weeks, the Noodler's flex pens for $14 will be available again. :)

I second Mauricio, he's great to work with and has access to a ton of vintage flex nibs. We got a couple from him last year before all the Noodler's ones came out. Vintage tends to get pricey, though.

If you can wait just a few more weeks, the Noodler's flex pens for $14 will be available again. :)

I saw your video a few days ago. I'm saving my lunch money for when they come in. Thanks

I LOVE my Noodler's Flex pen. Goulet Pens are a pleasure to work with as well. I personally can't recommend them enough. No relation.....just a very satisfied customer. Plus....at $12 how can you go wrong?!? My noodler's flex has become one of my very favorite in my rotation. I've shelved $300+ pens just because I love the flex in my noodler's.

I LOVE my Noodler's Flex pen. Goulet Pens are a pleasure to work with as well. I personally can't recommend them enough. No relation.....just a very satisfied customer. Plus....at $12 how can you go wrong?!? My noodler's flex has become one of my very favorite in my rotation. I've shelved $300+ pens just because I love the flex in my noodler's.

At first I was very unhappy with the Noodler's Flex pen. I think it actually had a break in period. I now use it for my book journal and love it. Even with fast writing, it lays down a nice wet line with so much variation. It's fun. I will definitely be picking up another when they are available again.

You can get modern pens with flexible nibs. There is a Namiki Falcon, but this really is not full flex.

Modern 14k nibs can be altered for flex. There's a couple of techniques....either thin the bottom of the nib, or trim the wings.

So it can be done with modern nibs, and they are very nice writers.

The old Esterbrook flex nibs seem to give mixed results. You might be better off getting a Noodler's flex pen for $14. Those nibs are pretty nice. THey dry out between uses though. I put tape over the little vent holes in the caps on mine to help with that. You might be able to find an old Swan on ebay.uk for a pretty good price. Those nibs are simply delicious.

I just scored a Swan from England. I've read so much about them, I can't wait. $60.00 with insured shipping. Seems I got it for a pretty good price. Black, not too fancy. But honestly, I'm buying it for the nib. It's a writing pen, not a display pen.

Kev

No knock against Mauricio, but has he ever sold a flex nib pen for under $150? Most seem priced north of $250, and quite a few cost more than $400. I just looked at a Waterman 55 offered for $695! The few sub-$150 pens I've seen offered seem to be firm nibs -- what pen folk call "nails."

Not the place I would go to for my first flex nib. (Though if you are really into fine vintage pens and flex, and want a quality pen, Mauricio is definitely worth a look) You can find decent flex pens on FPN, Pentrace, or the Bay for well under $100, especially if you're chasing the nib, and are less worried about faded imprints, brassing, and the like.

Top Bottom