What's new

Number of Shaves per Edge

I see several posts about number of shaves per blade. Each blade has 2 edges. For example a Gillette Platinum blade, 1 edge has Gillette writing, the other edge has Platinum. Every other brand is pretty similar from what I've seen.

Are folks consciously trying to use one side 2 to 4 times, which would DOUBLE the number of shaves, or do you not pay attention as to which edge is being used?

Sorry, but don't understand this post ... you make two passes over a cheek. That's either one per edge as you put it, or two for one edge. In either case it's two for the blade. Help me understand why it matters which edge you use?

I don't consciously think about it, but my routine for one pass after I've lathered is to shave one area, rotate to the other edge and shave another area, then rinse. I continue this pattern and, when I've completed one pass, both edges should have been used the same amount.

The edge that says gillette is 1 edge, the edge that says platinum is 1 edge

assuming you use 1 edge for the shave that day, that's one shave.

I'm not counting passes as uses, are you? Anyone else counting number of passes as shave totals?

This week I've used a Gillette Platinum 4 shaves with the Gillette edge, and 2 shaves (so far) with the Platinum edge.

All areas, multiple passes/strokes, same edge for me. Rinse the razor after 2-3 strokes/passes .

Last edited:
1 shave = multiples passes. 1 pass = multiple areas. I never do a complete pass using only one edge. I use both edges before rinsing.

Are folks consciously trying to use one side 2 to 4 times, which would DOUBLE the number of shaves, or do you not pay attention as to which edge is being used?

Not necessarily. Mathematically at least, using both edges equally while shaving should double the life of using a single edge. If doubling blade life was that simple, it would be a well known tip by now.

Last edited:
I, like most I would think, simply switch edges throughout the shave. I don't pay religeous attention as to which edge I'm using, merely rinsing my razor frequently, and making the next pass. I try to balance it out, but certainly do not use any method to ensure equal use of the sides.

I, like most I would think, simply switch edges throughout the shave. I don't pay religeous attention as to which edge I'm using, merely rinsing my razor frequently, and making the next pass. I try to balance it out, but certainly do not use any method to ensure equal use of the sides.

This is what I do as well. At the end of the day, regardless of the "order" you use the edges, you are doing the same amount of shaving.

I take note of the edge so I don't have to experience a blade after four shaves. I found that four per side is comfortable but I haven't tried pushing that out to 5.

The edge that says gillette is 1 edge, the edge that says platinum is 1 edge

assuming you use 1 edge for the shave that day, that's one shave.

I'm not counting passes as uses, are you? Anyone else counting number of passes as shave totals?

No, but if you do as CaptainK said, and I think most people do, and use one side, then the other, you're only using one side half as much as you would if you only used that side for the entire shave. In other words you're putting twice as much "wear and tear" on one edge if you only use one edge, then if you use both edges. In the end you'll even that out when you start using the other edge. Maybe I'm missing your point.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use specially designed fractal shaped blades. With an infinite number of edges, I get an infinite number of shaves.

Guess I really didn't need to buy a whole pack.

I use specially designed fractal shaped blades. With an infinite number of edges, I get an infinite number of shaves.

Guess I really didn't need to buy a whole pack.

Come on, you're pulling our legs. Right? If not, I'd be willing to trade a whole pack of Merkurs for just one.

I dont know if that would work to get more use out of it. You only get so many shaves/passes/strokes out of a blade before it gets dull. How you care to divvy it up is up to you. Average I get is about 4 shaves with 3 passes a shave. I guess you can say I get 2 shaves per side then?

As others have said, using only one edge until it is dull and then switching to the other edge doesn't double the life of the blade, it simply wastes the best attribute of double-edge blades - being able to flip the razor over and get twice as much area shaved before having to rinse the razor.

Top Bottom