What's new

Badger vs Boar - Thoughts from a long time boar user

Hi,

Used a badger brush for the first time tonight (Whipped Dog 20mm silver tip set at about 49mm) and thought I would give my impressions compared to the omega boars I have been using for a few years. Especially since I was one of the many wanting to know the difference :001_smile

Well, the biggest problem is that they are so different that it is difficult to compare. As with so many things this is not about performance but about preference. I almost feel like comparing them is liking trying to compare DE's vs Straights.

Firstly the density of hair is vastly superior on the badger i.e. number of hairs per sq inch, and the hair is a lot finer. I now understand the oft used "wall of hair" phrase.

As soon as the badger goes near water you know it is a different beast - it swells and absorbs water, it doesn't just get wet. It is like comparing a face cloth to a super soft sea sponge. A broken boar may swell a bit and hold water but the badger is like an anenome that swallows a whole mouthful. For those of you that have been near animal pelts/skins the badger is like the fine soft hair near the skin while the boar is like the longer protective hair and their reaction to water is similar.

I usually bowl lather and use Tabac or MWF. So tonight it was Tabac and I was expecting a bit of difficulty with the softer badger but had no such problems. Just swirled the tips around and everything start frothing. It loads quite differently, the boar picks up the soap as a thick cream around the points with minimal frothing - the badger, in part due to better water retention, absorbs and creates proto lather.

Now I tried bowl lathering but the badger behaves quite differently to what I am used to. It seemed to absorb most of the lather and just swell into a vast matrix of hair and lather. I am used to the boar creating most of the lather in the bowl.

So I gave face lathering a go - WOW! what a revelation - I found it a lot easier and more comfortable face lathering with the badger than the boar. The analogy of face cloth vs soft sea sponge seems most appropriate.

I did find that the badger clung to the soap more than the boar and now understand the whole process of squeezing out a cup of lather from a brush :001_smile

I find my 24mm/58mm loft boar just right for me i.t.o. size and would say this 20mm hits the same spot. The badger just spreads out so much more. I wouldn't say one is scratchier/softer than the other - it is more of a pressure/texture thing for me.

After one shave I couldn't say which I prefer but what has become clear to me is that they are completely different and require completely different routines/approaches. For now both have a place in my den and which I use will be dictated by the routine and experience I land up preferring. Plan on experimenting a bit more with face lathering.

I still plan to try one of the golden nib 2 band extra stuffed knots as soon as I find a suitable restore candidate. At this point I can't see myself getting into the high end badger as much as I appreciate looking at them and drooling. There are just too many other things like straights and soaps I would enjoy more ...... for now.

my 2c
Robin

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Robin. I am a boar user and have been happy with it. I'm interested in trying a badger soon, though.

all i used for years was a pure badger untill i found tgn.then i found i could get a silver tip foor what i could get a pure for.therr is no sense IMHO in spending 100's to shave.i found the trick to bowl lather is more swirls in the bowl,i like a good boar now and again but will always have a badger handy:}here's my e-r 200t with the tgn knot got less than $30 invested

I appreciate you sharing your experience, Robin. As a badger user trying boar for the first time recently, your descriptions resonate with me going the opposite direction. For now, I enjoy both. I stayed away from boar as long as I did because I thought board would be prickly and scratchy for some reason (which I have not found to be true).

Thanks! I just picked up a boar a few weeks ago and really like it and was amazed how differently they act in different situations. My badger hands down beats the boar face lathering the sticks I have.

Guys:

I had been badger only until three months ago then started with boar. So I have been using both now for a time and find Robin's evaluation spot on. The starting point is they are so hard to compare head to head - they are very different, each with their strengths. I like the exfoliation and so lean toward boar with the backbone they have. All in all, it is great to have the variety. Now, about horse hair...

Guys:
. Now, about horse hair...

ssshhhhh!
I won't mention that I have a few pictures of Vie Long's bookmarked and am still planning on the appropriate acquisition. I love the look of the barber models but the loft seems excessive and thought the knot might be a tad narrow - but after seeing how big a 20mm badger feels it might be a senseless concern. Even worse all these other brushes are pushing my Semogue purchases further back.

Nice post. I've used both types brushes, and gave boars a real good trial. However I've gotta say that even though the boar gave good results, I'll still stick with my badgers.

I guess the only reason for that choice is that I prefer the badgers over the boars. Of course as I know, everything shave related is YMMV.

QuarkVI, Interesting post and observations. I used a big boar, a tiny badger (wee scot) and a medium/small synthetic. The synthetic is different from either, but is able to be both soft and a little scritchy and all-around nearly as effective as the other 2. I mostly use the boar at home and the other 2 on the road or when I want a change. I like them all, but how one uses them is quite different.

I can't wait for an experienced user to give us a badger, boar, horse comparison next... Thanks for the review Quark!

Top Bottom