What's new

Need help not losing wallet/keys - Leather Catchall?

So I've had a rash of losing my stuff in a recent wave of CRS (Can't Remember S...). Items like my wallet (small card carrier) cash, keys etc. I've been told to put it in the same place all the time, but will have issues if mail or a newspaper is put over the counter where my stuff normally is.

I'd like to use a catchall or a desk caddy but don't know if just a tupperware container would work. What does everyone here use to keep from forgetting where they put stuff (or even keep it from walking away) when they hang their hat at home?

Thanks!

- Justjcez

I bought something just for this at Wal-Mart. It came with 2 for about $5. It was hanging with the laundry baskets and hanging shoe racks and stuff. You can open or close the dividers so you can customize the different pockets. I just put all of my pocket weight in it when I get home at the end of the day. It's great for keeping my things organized.

Luckily for me, I am borderline OCD organized. The wallet goes square with the edge of the dresser with the phone centered on top of it. Pen on the right, knife on the left, keys above. All square. Any loose papers I happen to need are under the lot of it, either flat out if important or folded neatly under the wallet if less important.

I do want a leather catch all though.

Legion

Staff member
I do. I have a table in the entrance way (actually it is an old radiogram) and on that I have this silver bowl thing for our keys, and a big crystal ashtray for my pocket dump.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Luckily for me, I am borderline OCD organized. The wallet goes square with the edge of the dresser with the phone centered on top of it. Pen on the right, knife on the left, keys above. All square. Any loose papers I happen to need are under the lot of it, either flat out if important or folded neatly under the wallet if less important.

I do want a leather catch all though.

I guess I'm with you on this. Routine this way comes naturally to me. The other thing is that I very much try to take as little with me as possible. I might be horrible to say this but I've listened for years to stories of folk leaving their wallet in their coat in the cafeteria while they work and loosing it and wallets left in hotel rooms, in their car . . . etc. . . . . good God man . . . do these people not know better???? (whoops sorry . . . rant mode off)

I have a small wicker basket that i put all my keys wallet and such into when i get home, then slap my ball cap ontop of the basket, so it's all in one place for the next days use, if for any reason I put them elsewhere my GF puts them in the basket, that way i know they are always there..

ADD is a inconvenience in more ways than one, especially when it comes to keeping up with keys and wallets. I have found that routine is the more important aspect over what you keep it in. I use a wooden cedar cigar box that I keep right beside my bed. Putting wallet, keys, watch, etc in it is the first thing I do when I come in. Keeping it all together is crucial. And a really neat looking cigar box at the local smoke shop was a quick, cheap, easy fix. It isn't that I have ADD, it's just that......look a rabbit!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
ADD is a inconvenience in more ways than one, especially when it comes to keeping up with keys and wallets. I have found that routine is the more important aspect over what you keep it in. I use a wooden cedar cigar box that I keep right beside my bed. Putting wallet, keys, watch, etc in it is the first thing I do when I come in. Keeping it all together is crucial. And a really neat looking cigar box at the local smoke shop was a quick, cheap, easy fix. It isn't that I have ADD, it's just that......look a rabbit!

A rabbit? :w00t:

Hey, I tawt I taw a puddt tat. I deed, I deed tee a puddy tat! :scared:

... I mean, yeah, being "routine" is key to not losing your keys. Remember Mr. Rogers? Every time he'd walk through the door, he'd go through is little jacket-cardigan and shoes-slippers routine ... take your cue from the man in blue, and know what to do.

Thhufferin' ttthucotasth!!

I always have my keys attached to a lanyard which I attach to a belt loop whenever I go out, so I just hang them off the door handle when I'm in

I have a drawer I put all of my daily essentials in. Watch, wallet, keys and pen. Same place every day without fail, I have to pass by that spot before I leave. While I am away from home I keep my keys in the same spot at work, everything else stays with me. When traveling I find a spot that I know is for my stuff and keep it there.

I'm with the habit voters. My keys, wallet, and phone will not be removed from my pocket except to put them in their regular place. Doesn't matter what gets piled on top, I know they are there because I deliberately will never place them anywhere else. It's not OCD exactly, it's just that I HATE(!!!) wasting time looking for anything. So I know it's worth walking all the way to the other end of the house just to put something down, if I know I won't have to search the whole house over just to find it later. In fact, it's a form of laziness that compels me.

I have a leather "Key Valet" that takes my wallet, keys, watch, knife, pocket change, etc. As soon as I walk in the house, everything gets dumped in there.

It's similar to this but nicer quality, thicker leather...handmade by some craftsman up in Nova Scotia.
proxy.php

That is cool, but where does the rabbit go?
I have a leather "Key Valet" that takes my wallet, keys, watch, knife, pocket change, etc. As soon as I walk in the house, everything gets dumped in there.

It's similar to this but nicer quality, thicker leather...handmade by some craftsman up in Nova Scotia.
proxy.php

My wife bought me one of those dresser valets back when we were dating and I keep it on a shelf in the closet. I put my watch, wedding band and wallet in it, and the drawer holds a bunch of those dress shirt collar stays. I also keep a few heirloom items in it.

I finally trained myself to put the keys in the same spot on the counter when I walk in. We keep those downstairs in case one or the other needs to get into the other person's car (spare keys are in the junk drawer, but ferchrisake don't go in there unless you have to!:scared:). (Plus, I often run out to the car at night and don't want to have to go back upstairs for keys.)

Cell phone charges on the nightstand and stays on me until bedtime (gotta keep up with my B&B and in touch with the BFFs!! :laugh:)

Wood Cigar box ( nice brand) on table near door, if you need a "go bag" look at camera case/bags.
Coat Hook rack with mirror at front door ( NO KEY'S or wallet near door) for hanging items.

Top Bottom