What's new

Look at what I found today

My friend at the junk store had this for me today:

Gillette Old Style Big Fellow s/n M389837- from 1920

Razor is in very nice condition, case latch catch is broken, blade case is also in good shape with only a minor ding and some scratches. One Gillette Thin was inside. How rare are these things to find like this?

I like the way my 1924 New Improved shaves a lot. How do you think this one stacks up?

Some before and after cleaning pics:

Attachments

• $1920BigFellow6.jpg
    $1920BigFellow6.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 239
  • $1920BigFellow3.jpg
    $1920BigFellow3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 238
  • $1920BigFellow4.jpg
    $1920BigFellow4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 238
  • $1920BigFellow9.jpg
    $1920BigFellow9.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 239
  • $1920BigFellow8.jpg
    $1920BigFellow8.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Nice catch! If you don't mind, what'd you get it for? All I can seem to find are Tech's and Super Speeds!

-Matt-

Nice catch! If you don't mind, what'd you get it for? All I can seem to find are Tech's and Super Speeds!

-Matt-

I paid the fellow $25 for the Big Fellow:wink2:

I did pick up a New Improved 1924 at a local antique mall last week for $14, it has a crack in the handle as many do. But, works fine.

The process is the same most places: antique/junk shops, flea markets and the like are usually the best bet. It is surely hit or miss. I have gone months without seeing anything and then I pick up a few in a week. Likely, they are coming from estates and the dealers are picking them up in bulk.

Stuff on eBay has become pretty pricey, but, you can still pick up an occasional nice one. Techs and SS are the common razors I see, but they are fine shavers and if the price is right I pick them up. They are what I give away to folks who want to try the older way of shaving.

Last edited:
Wow, talk about a great cleanup!

Thanks! The razor is silver plated and was pretty close to black in places. So, first it got a bath in glass baking dish with aluminum foil on the bottom with a solution of baking soda and salt in near boiling water for a few minutes, which took away some of the deep tarnish. Then I hand polished it with Mass polish and some rags.

$25 bucks is a steal, considering that is a Big Fellow with the rarer style Old Type head. A set like that would normally go for about $150 on the bay. Very nice pickup! :thumbup:

Congrats! I just picked one up, almost identical for $28 at an antique store. Cleaned it but have not test driven yet...maybe this weekend with some vintage Gillette Blues..

I like it.

If you have another Old Type look how much thicker the bottom and top plate are. It's not just a longer handle. Those Old Type Big Fellows are beefy all around and the wood boxes are just plain cool.

:thumbup1:Wow what a nice Find, I just picked one up last week in same wooden box, From Cedarfurnitureman. but i didn't pay $25.00 More like $94.00 but it was the one with the Extended Barrel and he said it had a Small Crack in the Handle But i couldn't see it with my naked eye :eek:( Maybe i need glasses lol. Either way nice find and Excellent job on the Clean up. :thumbup1:

Attachments

• $Gillette Big Fellow Chrome.jpg
    $Gillette Big Fellow Chrome.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 149
:thumbup1:Wow what a nice Find, I just picked one up last week in same wooden box, From Cedarfurnitureman. but i didn't pay $25.00 More like $94.00 but it was the one with the Extended Barrel and he said it had a Small Crack in the Handle But i couldn't see it with my naked eye :eek:( Maybe i need glasses lol. Either way nice find and Excellent job on the Clean up. :thumbup1:

That is a really nice set. Is it a New Improved Big Fellow or old style? And, your box latch is not broken like mine.:001_smile From your post and a couple of others, seems like I got a bargain on this one. I was just happy to have found such an oldie. I suppose this purchase balances out some of the eBay straights I have bought that had cracks in the blade or scales that I could not see in the photos:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom