What's new

"Bicentennial" Williams: two questions.

Of my four pucks of vintage Williams, three have been the Bicentennial variety. That is, they contain the offer for a special edition Williams Americana Shaving Mug to commemorate America's Bicentennial. Just send in $4.95 and allow 4-6 weeks for delivery!:001_smile According to measuringworth.com, $4.95 in 1976 would be $19.00 in 2010, going by the CPI.

Question one, has anybody seen and handled one of these mugs? The one I saw on eBay once cost way more than I would have paid. The advertisement says that it's "virtually unbreakable" and "looks and feels like real pewter". I'm thinking some kind of plastic, or maybe plated pot metal, but those are just guesses.

Question two, how many years was this offer around? It occurs to me that a majority of the vintage Williams I see available has this special offer on the box. I'd expect that marketing tie-ins for the Bicentennial started at least a couple of years before 1976, and continued for a few years after, but I don't really remember. I wonder if this offer could have continued into the 80s, or maybe been renewed periodically. Then again, it could just be selective attention on my part.

Question one, has anybody seen and handled one of these mugs?
Yep, I had one. Got it in a lot purchase from the bay. I think I traded to another member for something. Gosh, that must have been more than a year ago.

I'm thinking some kind of plastic, or maybe plated pot metal, but those are just guesses.
Definitely metal, definitely hefty.

Question two, how many years was this offer around?
No clue on this one.

I had one in my hands a while ago, it was metal, an alloy similar to pewter. I should have kept it and the puck of vintage Williams menthol soap that I got with it.

Of my four pucks of vintage Williams, three have been the Bicentennial variety. That is, they contain the offer for a special edition Williams Americana Shaving Mug to commemorate America's Bicentennial. Just send in $4.95 and allow 4-6 weeks for delivery!:001_smile According to measuringworth.com, $4.95 in 1976 would be $19.00 in 2010, going by the CPI.

Question one, has anybody seen and handled one of these mugs? The one I saw on eBay once cost way more than I would have paid. The advertisement says that it's "virtually unbreakable" and "looks and feels like real pewter". I'm thinking some kind of plastic, or maybe plated pot metal, but those are just guesses.

Question two, how many years was this offer around? It occurs to me that a majority of the vintage Williams I see available has this special offer on the box. I'd expect that marketing tie-ins for the Bicentennial started at least a couple of years before 1976, and continued for a few years after, but I don't really remember. I wonder if this offer could have continued into the 80s, or maybe been renewed periodically. Then again, it could just be selective attention on my part.

I've found quite a few boxes of the vintage Williams over the last year or so but have yet to find one of the bicentennial boxes. But I will. As to how long they were produced I'd guess the only way to find out for sure would be to see if there are any company records available with the data, and I'd bet that would be very difficult to say the least.

Last edited:
I've found quite a few boxes of the vintage Williams over the last year or so but have yet to find one of the bicentennial boxes yet. But I will. As to how long they were produced I'd guess the only way to find out for sure would be to see if there are any company records available with the data, and I'd bet that would be very difficult to say the least.

Purely guessing on my part, but I am fairly certain the promo ran for multiple years. There were a couple of different variations on the Pewter Mug promo. For example one box said you would save $4 off the purchase price of the mug, while another said you would save $3 off the purchase price. The placement of the promo text on the box also varied:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have one. As mentioned earlier, it's some type of alloy that looks like pewter. Very heavy and quite tall. You would need a long brush to use it properly.

Right now it's setting next to my Seaforth mug and looking very cool

Top Bottom