What's new

Mint Razor Or Mint Case Or Both

OK here is my Question. If you had a choice of Paying for lets say , A Nice Mint Rare Razor like 1934 Aristocrat for $100.00 or $450 For same Razor Mint in its original case. Which one would you choose? Why? and which one is a better buy?

I Would Rather get the Razor Since the Case is Nothing without the Razor. That's how i feel about. I have seen Razors alone go as high as some in Cases. Its nice to have the Case in a Collectors point of view, but over paying for it by $350.00 Dollars more just because it has the original Case, instructions and blade holder. at this time i just rather get my hands on the real thing that matter's The Razor Its Self, like i said if you have Case without the razor then you have nothing to show off.

How do you Guy's feel about it ?

To generalize your question, are you asking whether it's better to pay a fair price for a mint condition razor without a case or to pay a significantly above-market price for a complete mint set?

Under your example, I'd probably buy the uncased razor, then keep my eye open for an empty case (or one with a mismatched occupant) down the line.

From a shaving standpoint, who needs a case? All but one of my razors are uncased. From a "collector" standpoint, the case, ephemera and accessories make the razor all that more rare and desirable since most cases and ephemera did not survive.

A non-collector wouldn't care about your example. A collector would want the case and the whole shebang as Doug stated. The difference in prices... well, I don't know enough about that, but that seems like it would be on a "case-by-case" basis. :001_tt2:

Yep yep, sometimes i see a rare item, i would like to get it with that case an all, but that's not the Case. No pun intended lol but ill shoot for the razor which is the Prize then keep and eye out for the case, of even better later on down the line i may find a nice full NOS Set Razor Case and all :eek:)

I'm always on the lookout for cases to go with my uncased razors. I've done pretty well at it -- seems to be pretty easy to find cases for superspeeds in particular. All of my 40s and 50s Aristocrats are cased, now.

That said, I very rarely bid on or shop for razors that are not in their cases anymore. I just don't have the time or desire to be bothered with razors that lack cases.

There are exceptions -- I would probably jump at an uncased Red Ring or Henckels Rapide, or perhaps also a Darwin Deluxe. There was an uncased rhodium-plated Aristocrat (was that the "President"?) I bid on, just because I could tell what the plating was, but those are notable exceptions. As a rule, I want a cased item.

I'm still on the hunt for another complete toggle case -- you know, the one with the snap-in vinyl travel case? Someday I'll find it. Sometimes looking for the cases is more exciting than the razor. They tend to get overlooked in the display cabinet, or sift down to the bottom of the box at the garage sale. Fatboy cases are surprisingly hard to find... and usually you see them with a mismatched razor. When you see those on the 'bay, it's amazing to see the bidding. You can tell the bidders who know from the bidders who could care less.

I guess my point is that all things equal I'd rather have a cased set than an uncased razor, but if it's a rarity, I'd go uncased. As a follow-on, I think that cases themselves can be worth quite a lot if you know what you're looking at (or looking for!), so I would certainly not agree with the sentiment that "the Case is Nothing without the Razor".

My $.02,
-- Chet

I'm a user, not a collector. For the same price or a marginal premium, I'd take the case, but from my perspective they just take up more room.

that´s a big difference between the razor or set on your example. I think the complete set is only for collectors interesting and this overprice for a case makes sense for only a few sets: you have a Tuckaway, but not this case, you have a Aristocrat, but not this case, or this case or this set ... :drool:

Top Bottom