What's new

Cross fountain pens

I work about 5 minutes from the Cross HQ factory store in RI and have been meaning to stop in there for a while now but haven’t gotten around to it. My goal is to go there next week and see what they have for fountain pens and leather goods. I was curious what everyone’s opinions are on Cross fountain pens and what specifically to look for? I’ve always used and liked their ballpoint pens, but only recently gotten into using FPs.

I used Cross pens for a long time.
My first fountain pen was a Cross Century. I used it at the end of high school and through out university.
I still use a Cross Townsend ball point and FP now and again.
Very solid, well built pens.
Smooth wrting too.
If you take care of them they'll last a good long time.
Even the cheaper pens are great for the desk.
I always get compliments on them.

EDIT: I also had a few Cross Verve fountain pens. They wrote very smoothly but I didn't like the cigar shape.

I have a two Cross fountain pens: a Metropolis, and a Radiance. They both write very smoothly, with good ink flow. I have no complaints with them whatsoever.

I got a cross ballpoint and pencil set for my first communion. along with about a dozen bibles.
The pen/pencil got a LOT more use. Wish I still had them to be honest, but being a stupid kid I lost them.

I have used a Cross Century II for a few years, but I could never get used to its scritchy nature. I really abused it getting it to do what I wanted—write smoothly—but alas, no luck. This was before I learned about nib widths and such; it's quite possible the nib was too narrow (F) for my comfort. I still have the pen though, although I don't use it anymore. It remains a solid, pleasantly weighted, if somewhat too sleek and short for my coal shovels.

Pens in this price range are truly perfectly fine writing instruments, lasting years upon years.

Obiwan
My advice, regrettably, would be to forget anything new from Cross. They've moved everything from Rhode Islsnd to China and in my opinion are not the same company or quality.
I'm from Massachusetts and have loads of the old Cross stuff when it was made in RI and you could go in the factory store and get super deals. I was at the store about a year ago and was so disappointed at what they had and seeing the empty factory buildings where workers took pride in what the made. You would think the prices would go down with the quality but that's not the case.

I just got several NOS Cross Solo fountain pens from Art Brown and am very happy with them. They were discontinued a few years ago but it seems like Cross discovered an old stock and are getting rid of them. The reviews were very positive for these pens and they were only $15 each + tax and shipping.

The body and cap are all plastic. The nibs were supplied by Namiki/Pilot and they are smooth writers but they tend to run one size finer than typical Western sizes. One feature that I like is that the cap screws on to close but snaps on to the body of the pen when you post it. Makes for a very secure cap if you like to have your cap at the end of the pen when you are writing.

Typical disclaimer about no affiliation...

I just got several NOS Cross Solo fountain pens from Art Brown and am very happy with them. They were discontinued a few years ago but it seems like Cross discovered an old stock and are getting rid of them. The reviews were very positive for these pens and they were only $15 each + tax and shipping.

The body and cap are all plastic. The nibs were supplied by Namiki/Pilot and they are smooth writers but they tend to run one size finer than typical Western sizes. One feature that I like is that the cap screws on to close but snaps on to the body of the pen when you post it. Makes for a very secure cap if you like to have your cap at the end of the pen when you are writing.

Typical disclaimer about no affiliation...

Did the pen come with a converter ?

The American made Cross Pen in ballpoint was the first real expensive pen that I received from a national company that I worked for and still have it along with dozens of others. My Desk set is an a President's award from the 1980's and I still use it everyday. It has a white marble base and gold pen/pencil. Many of the pens have various badges on the clip for various companies....I really like them. If anything goes wrong you can send them back for a new pen as there is a lifetime warranty.

The American made Cross Pen in ballpoint was the first real expensive pen that I received from a national company that I worked for and still have it along with dozens of others. My Desk set is an a President's award from the 1980's and I still use it everyday. It has a white marble base and gold pen/pencil. Many of the pens have various badges on the clip for various companies....I really like them. If anything goes wrong you can send them back for a new pen as there is a lifetime warranty.

My Grandfather had several Cross pen and pencil sets with the 3m logo.

Top Bottom