What's new

moustache/beard razor

Anybody know any manufacturers that ever made specialty moustache/beard razors?

I have a close-cropped, highly styled beard and I've been wanting to style it a little more. Using an electric trimmer just isn't precise enough, so I'm wanting to try a blade to get into those tight spaces. I ordered a Merkur moustache razor to try out, despite some of the bad reviews I've read about it, if it works great, if not I'm only out 25 bucks.

I was just wondering if Merkur is the only company to ever come up with a moustache/beard razor, and if they are the only company making the blades?

Anybody know any manufacturers that ever made specialty moustache/beard razors?

I have a close-cropped, highly styled beard and I've been wanting to style it a little more. Using an electric trimmer just isn't precise enough, so I'm wanting to try a blade to get into those tight spaces. I ordered a Merkur moustache razor to try out, despite some of the bad reviews I've read about it, if it works great, if not I'm only out 25 bucks.

I was just wondering if Merkur is the only company to ever come up with a moustache/beard razor, and if they are the only company making the blades?

A straight or disposabale blade straight would also work.

Mag, please post an update after you've tried it out. I was thinking one might
be good for tuff places like around the nasal filtrum & corners of the mouth.

I googled the product & found several review sites. The general opinion seemed to be that the Merkur blades did not cut well at all & sadly, Merk is the only custom blade available to fit the holder.

My experience w/Merk DE blades is that they don't even cut my very light
beard so am having my doubts about the instrument.

Please advise...Thanks

You may want to try an old style Gem, the single edge blade kind. Lots of them around and the blades are readily available.

A 4/8 straight works very well for that but there is a learning curve on getting and keeping it shaving sharp. I too thought about the Merkur mustache razor. I chose to pass on it after reading the reviews. I have since shaved my mustache so it ain't an issue.

Maybe a straight would work if it had the right size of blade (and if I actually knew how to use it)- it would have to be able to be angled to shave off some hair while leaving other hair alone (a small contact area for the blade).

I find that a vintage Schick Injector works well for that. The head geometry is better suited for it than any of my DE's.

The Merkur Mustache/Beard razor sucks. A straight, no matter what the size, is ideal. Also, check around for Bic Metal disposals. One other option would be either a Feather DX or a Dovo Shavette.

Randy

I just got the Merkur moustache razor in the mail and tried it out. My impression is that it works, but the blade is somewhat dull feeling. It does shave and cut hair but if your angle isn't perfect the blade tends to get caught on whiskers and pull or skip. This razor would probably work great on somebody with light whiskers, but my guess is they are just the sort of people not to have a moustache or beard, right?

I just got the Merkur moustache razor in the mail and tried it out. My impression is that it works, but the blade is somewhat dull feeling. It does shave and cut hair but if your angle isn't perfect the blade tends to get caught on whiskers and pull or skip. This razor would probably work great on somebody with light whiskers, but my guess is they are just the sort of people not to have a moustache or beard, right?

I can't get a decent shave out of Merkur DE & I have a very light beard. Too
bad Merk is the only company that makes the "mustache" trimmer blades.

Thanks for the report! U took one for the team

I can't get a decent shave out of Merkur DE & I have a very light beard. Too
bad Merk is the only company that makes the "mustache" trimmer blades.

Thanks for the report! U took one for the team

I think I'll stick with it, use it for outlining difficult areas once or twice a week. I have one of those small Philips multi-tool grooming kits for beards, and it has a very small foil head, the only problem is it is bad for long hair. So you have to get the hair cut down first before it will take it off.

I think I'll stick with it, use it for outlining difficult areas once or twice a week. I have one of those small Philips multi-tool grooming kits for beards, and it has a very small foil head, the only problem is it is bad for long hair. So you have to get the hair cut down first before it will take it off.
I second the suggestion for a Dovo Shavette, using the red holder for half a regular DE blade. (This is the only application I would recommend the red holder for, though.)

Top Bottom