What's new

What's with this body wash?

Is our society so lazy that we can't expend the effort to create lather with a bar of soap? Do we like paying for water instead of soap? Liquid soap is for handwashing dishes! Sound out!

I find that it's actually more work to use a liquid for body washing. You have to a) pick up the bottle b) open it unless it's already open c) turn it over and vigorously shake the bottle to get the product to come out d) put the bottle down and e) figure out how to apply it (those nylon net things - what a PITA). As far as I'm concerned, they over-produce lather, and it's hard to gauge how much product is too much - which means you usually use too much.

Observe what happens with a bar of quality soap: pick up soap, apply to wet washcloth, scrub, repeat. In a pinch, or if you prefer, you can even dispense with the washcloth - nothing wrong with your hand, if that's your druthers. IMO, liquid bodywash is absolutely worthless.

I willing to convert could you recommend a great bar soap.

I say the same. I happen to like my body wash. Give us a recommendation for a great bar soap and I'll try it.
I've tried enough of the mass produced big name products like Zest, Irish Spring, &c. to know I don't like them.

Not having to put the bar of soap down would save some time.

I find that it's actually more work to use a liquid for body washing. You have to a) pick up the bottle b) open it unless it's already open c) turn it over and vigorously shake the bottle to get the product to come out d) put the bottle down and e) figure out how to apply it (those nylon net things - what a PITA). As far as I'm concerned, they over-produce lather, and it's hard to gauge how much product is too much - which means you usually use too much.

Observe what happens with a bar of quality soap: pick up soap, apply to wet washcloth, scrub, repeat. In a pinch, or if you prefer, you can even dispense with the washcloth - nothing wrong with your hand, if that's your druthers. IMO, liquid bodywash is absolutely worthless.

Bar soap is as different as shaving soap. You can try glycerine soaps, or artisan soaps, hard milled soaps, whatever. Traditional Castille soap, an olive oil based hard white soap, is great; you can try Kirks Natural Castile Soap, which is a vegetable-based soap and readily available at the grocers or health store. Some people are put off by the scent, or, rather, lack of it - they are termed 'fragrance free' - YMMV. I'd simply try a few and see how they work. Personally, I used Dove unscented for years - I hate scented products, will not use a deodorant soap, and suffer from terminal dry skin, probably because of the lack of humidity in Colorado (Las Vegas drives me crazy). It isn't drying, works well for what it's intended for, and is readily available. Downside is that bars don't last all that long, in contrast to, say, Castille soap. I'm currently using a Cetaphil cleansing bar, which is also available in an anti-bacterial, if you prefer (this would qualify it as a "deodorant" bar). Same downside as the Dove, they don't last long, which isn't important to me. For traveling, I'll buy a tiny glycerine bar and throw it away before I return - I get 'em at the grocery store.

Not having to put the bar of soap down would save some time.

True, but you have to put the bottle down, too - usually having to stoop in the process, unless you have a big enough slot in the shower next to you. It's all about efficiency, right? And, if you load the washcloth correctly, you only have to pick up the bar of soap ... once.

Kirk's Castile tends to be a bit drying, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Here are some ideas. 1) ARTISAN-made soap. Take your choice. Mama Bear, Mystic Waters, Queen Charlotte,...the list goes on and on. Pick a scent that appeals to you and buy a bar of soap.

2) High-quality, expensive soaps with amazing scents. Take your choice. Truefitt and Hill (these are fantastic!), Nancy Boy, Nesti Dante, etc., etc.

3) High-quality soaps that are available locally (sometimes): Whole Foods soap (really nice lather), Hugo Naturals (one of my favorite soaps; scents are great), Zuma, etc., etc.

Lather any of these soaps up with a loofah (poof, whatever you want to call them), and enjoy!

I can virtually guarantee that if you try any of these options you will not want to go back to your body washes.

Musago Real Soap on a Rope (Or Bar - but I found the rope convenient for the gym) - cheap, great smell, good longevity. Also Claus Porto and Caswell Massey are good.

Some people swear by L'occitane - its worth a try as nearly everyone lives close to a boutique but I find the longevity to be lacking compared to others in a similar price point.

body "wash" is set up for corporate profit,a good quality bar is much more eco friendly,cleans better and costs you a lot less to get clean....try buying bars not sold in your local grocery store..there are many to choose from..many walgreens carry heno de pravia bars from spain,one of the finest soaps made,and in constant production since 1905

Mistral has a men's line of triple milled french bar soap. It's goooood. There's 4 different scents, I tried em all except for the bamboo sandalwood.

I agree that the Kirks Castille can be drying - which is why I don't use it. On the other hand, a traditional olive oil Castille soap isn't generally drying, but is harder to find, and more expensive, but worth it - assuming you can get past the somewhat odd odor (it is olive oil, after all) that I remember. But they are very very mild.

Other than his comment on a "loofah" (or a net poof thingie) I agree with kingfisher. I just hate those things.

i find that it's actually more work to use a liquid for body washing. You have to a) pick up the bottle b) open it unless it's already open c) turn it over and vigorously shake the bottle to get the product to come out d) put the bottle down and e) figure out how to apply it (those nylon net things - what a pita). As far as i'm concerned, they over-produce lather, and it's hard to gauge how much product is too much - which means you usually use too much.
For the love of god tell me this is a joke.

Check out the new Razorock Artisan bars. Fantastic soap! Great moisture, lather and rinsing. To me, clean rinsing is key, I hate feeling like it never washed off!
So far I've used Coconut, Shea Butter and Ginseng. Coco is obvious scent, Shea Butter is Lily of the Valley, Ginseng is a light fresh scent. All nice, and not overpowering.

A couple downsides though. They don't seem to last very long, and lose a bit each time to the soap dish. My wife and I together got about 10 showers from one bar. And at $3 each, I dunno if it's performance is worth it for a regular use soap. But to treat yourself, they are amazing!

I think it actually has a lot to do with what you are used to. I am from Canada and have always used a bar of soap. I think most Canadians still favour bar soap over body wash.

Then I moved to Germany. Almost nobody uses bar soap out here. In fact, the bar soap section at the grocery store or pharmacy is a tiny fraction of the body wash section. At the gym I am the ONLY guy I have ever seen that showers with a bar of soap, everyone uses bodywash applied with the hand (no silly poofs or the like).

Anyway, I prefer bar soap at home, but use body wash at the gym now cause its easier to haul around in the gym bag. YMMV.

Top Bottom