What's new

Razor replating

This seems to be the difference between the $75 they charge for a rhodium replate vs the $45 mentioned above from a different replater.

Actually, if you look at RE website the list a Rhodium Replate at $55, not $75. The $75 is for the full revamp service. I have no first hand experience with their services yet. I have sent a razor off to have the revamp service done in Rhodium. Well, that is if UPS ever finds it again. They seem to have lost my package. I did not pay $75 either, they had a coupon code which allowed me to save 20% off the price of the service so I feel that is a good deal. The deciding factor will be when my razor returns and what kind of shape it is in. The Service I have got from RE in answering questions and dealing with UPS loosing my package has been nothing less than top notch.

If that video wasn't enough to dissuade you from sending your razors to razor emporium, then you deserve whatever you get.

Actually, if you look at RE website the list a Rhodium Replate at $55, not $75. The $75 is for the full revamp service. I have no first hand experience with their services yet. I have sent a razor off to have the revamp service done in Rhodium. Well, that is if UPS ever finds it again. They seem to have lost my package. I did not pay $75 either, they had a coupon code which allowed me to save 20% off the price of the service so I feel that is a good deal. The deciding factor will be when my razor returns and what kind of shape it is in. The Service I have got from RE in answering questions and dealing with UPS loosing my package has been nothing less than top notch.

Fair point - but for the price of the plate, they do nothing but send it out to the plater and mark it up - they add no value whatsoever. In fact, the instructions specifically indicate that it is up to the owner to prep the razor for replating. If they can offer the service at 20% off, I wonder what the mark-up is?

As for the "revamp", I'd be surprised if they spend more than an hour per razor and I'm not sure dipping the tip in Testor's model paint constitutes factory specifications. Also much of the prep that you only get with the revamp should be done before any plating job. I'm not saying that a razor you send to these guys won't come back looking better than when you sent it in, I just question the price/value/quality of the services.

By way of comparison, Cooncatbob sells refinished NEW heads for $25 - that includes the actual head itself, Bob properly prepping the head and having the head replated.

By way of another comparison, I've picked up NEW razors in excellent condition here for $20 and purchased excellent condition SEs here for between $10 and $20 - when I say excellent, I mean they look almost new - and this is what makes me question the value of this type of service for all but the rarest or razors or a razor that has a particular sentimental value to it.

As they say, YMMV and folks are free to spend their money however they want.

Wow...I was considering sending one razor to Razor Emporium about two weeks ago. Based on what I read here, I am happy I didn't. I will stay away from them unless I see good feedback somewhere on these forums.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have recently had two vintage razors re-plated at a local place here in Pasadena, CA: one in nickel, and the other in gold. I would recommend nickel over any other metal, as it is less expensive and comes out brighter than chrome, and more durable than gold.

Gold and rhodium are very expensive metals, so plating with them is done in a very thin layer. Corrosion can begin after that thin layer begins to wear. It cost me just $20 to get an old three piece razor re-plated in a thicker, more durable layer of nickel, and I would do it again.

I sent an E2 Fatboy to them for replating in rhodium and they did an excellent job. The razor looks brand new. I gave it to my son and he is really enjoying using it. From the posts I can see that many people don't like them - but fom my experience they did a top notch job.

Last edited:
M

magelsen

I sent an E2 Fatboy to them for replating in rhodium and they did an excellent job. The razor looks brand new. I gave it to my son and he is really enjoying using it. From the posts I can see that many people don't like them - but fom my experience they did a top notch job.
If you have a chance, I would be interested in seeing pictures of their work.

Top Bottom