What's new

Esterbrook nibs

I got a black J pen for 15 dollars today at a antique mall. I disassembled it and the sac looks like new so I cleaned and inked it. My question is that it feels very scratchy when writing. It has the 2558 nib in it now. If any of you have a Esetrbrook pen what nibs do you like?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The 9xxx are the iridium tipped ones and are usually the best. I have not heard of 2558 but I had a 2550 that was scratchy.

2668, 2968 are 2xxx ones I like. Have you looked at the tip closely with a loupe? Maybe it's just not aligned.

Sorry, it is a 2668. I have a magnifying glass but not a loupe, they look even. I might be pressing to hard also, if I make a effort not to press it feels better.

I've had several 2xxx nibs that were scratchy. You can try to soak them, align them, smooth them, but honestly; best thing I've found is to replace them. Esterbrook.net and I think pendemonium.com?/ net? have them for pretty cheap.

Fun to read this stuff; I have a J on the way with a 2668 nib, and a spare 9556 nib. I'll be interested to see the differences.

Top Bottom