What's new

Any special care required for horn handled brushes?

I believe that most horn products need to be treated with some kind of oil on a regular basis (maybe twice a year). One of our horn-handled brush owners will be along soon enough to confirm this for you.

How can I repair a small crack in a horn handle?

The crack is on the base of the brush. It's curved and runs along what looks like a growth line in the horn. So a small sliver of horn protrudes slightly. I want to keep the sliver from stabbing me or breaking off. Can I glue it down? If so, what kind of glue will hold, without marring the appearance of the brush too much, especially when the brush sits in warm water?

Also, I want to keep the crack from growing or propogating and to keep new cracks from forming. Will occasional treatments with neatsfoot compound get this part of the job done?

Thanks.

superglue. you can either try to glue back the sliver, or cut it off and fill the gap in with superglue. Then polish after it drys.

Why is the handle sitting in warm water?

+1 on Neatsfoot oil: apply 2 / 3 times a year

Cautionary note, most Neatsfoot oil is not 100% pure. It is mixed with other spirits. Only buy 100% pure oil my is by a company called Tandy Leather Factory USA.

Charles U.K

Top Bottom