What's new

Sinus infection. Temporarily lost sense of smell and taste.

I've got an infection in my sinuses (and eyes for that matter) and now I've lost my sense of taste and smell.
It's happened before and it's really not enjoyable.
Especially for a guy who really likes to eat.

Anyone else have this happen?

btw, SWMBO is taking full advantage of this in the way that I have become responsible for the baby's poopy diapers.

I use to have this happen about once a year.. get a raging sinus infection that causes loss of smell and taste. I started using a Neti Pot on a monthly basis and during the fall/winter months when I normally get these types of infections I will do it every week. I have not had one that bad since I started this regiment. When I do get a sinus infection I will actually use the pot 2 to 3 times during the day and it will normally clear up in a couple of days with no need for antibiotics. This process was actually recommended to me from my ENT after the 3rd time I lost my senses.

Last edited:
I've got one somewhere. I'm not a big fan I feel like i'm drowning when I use it.
Obviously I'm doing something wrong....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Good time to use that Starbucks gift certificate you got for your last birthday.

It's just so weird. Especially when you eat something that you know what it tastes like.. for example, an orange.
I eat one but I get no taste from it. I can tell that it's sweet, but no taste at all.

Good time to gobble up some liver and onions.

3 years ago I completely lost my sense of taste and smell (due to chronic sinusitis and overuse of decongestants). That was a great tragedy for me - how to enjoy food and wine from my cellar in the future? 5 months later I decided to lie under surgeon's knife. Septoplasty was successful, and now my taste of smell is even better than before!

The lesson I learned:
don't use decongestants - instead use nasal rinsing with salted water (try Nasaline)
or, if you can't live without drugs,
use antihistamines and nasal steroids - they will not harm you much.

Better life through chemistry.

I usually get one bad sinus infection every year. I get a 5 day course of zithromax (spelling?) and I'm good-to-go.

Top Bottom