What's new

How many shaves do you normally get per blade?

How many shaves do you normally get per blade?

• 1-2

• 3-4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• More

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm interested in the average number of shaves you normally get per blade. For purposes of the poll, assume you're using your favorite blade in your favorite razor.

I know there are a lot of factors related to blade life, and if you want to add comments below, you are welcome to do that.

I use 5 blades in a rotation with my EJ89L, and I get 7 shaves out of all of them.
Red IP's, Voskhod, Lord Platinum, Shark Super Stainless, Treet Dura Sharp Classic Carbon

I use Blue Birds and use to get 5-6 shaves per blades but lately, I have been getting 10+, maybe it has to do with the warm weather.

With any DE, I just won't go past 4 shaves (3-4 passes each shave). I may be able to get a one or two more, but the chances of irritation exponentially increase with each subsequent use. It's just not worth the risk.

I get 3 solid shaves out of a Red Personna and Crystals.

Does anyone else notice that a Feather seems to give less, maybe 2 before you feel a lot of tug?

With any DE, I just won't go past 4 shaves (3-4 passes each shave). I may be able to get a one or two more, but the chances of irritation exponentially increase with each subsequent use. It's just not worth the risk.

My cut-off is three shaves. I don'tlike the risk that goes with forcing more shaves.

I get 3 solid shaves out of a Red Personna and Crystals.

Does anyone else notice that a Feather seems to give less, maybe 2 before you feel a lot of tug?

Agree on both counts. I like the comfort of the Reds and Crystals, which are favorites. I seldom use Feathers for the same reason.

Reference this thread. Using Gillette NOS extra Bleue's in my redtip. On Red IP's, Astra's, Crystals I get 2 too 3 shaves. Feathers I get about 0.3 shaves, before I start scraping off too mush skin.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I couldn't vote. Without reference to the blade the data is meaningless.

2 with a Feather, a week with NOS Shick Plus Platinums, 4-6 with most of the 7 O'Clock series. Varies too much.

But I am glad I got a big batch of NOS Schicks!

It also (at least for me) depends on how often i shave. If i shave only twice a week, i'll need a new blade each shave, but if it's every day, i get more shaves out of each blade.

I change blades every 4 shaves regardless of whether I think it needs it or not.

I didn't invest this much money into creams, a brush, razors, and lotions, just to squeeze the life out of .30 blades.

I was miserable when I shaved with the fusion because I would try to stretch each cartridge out for two weeks because they were so expensive. Not going back to that ever again.

I couldn't vote. Without reference to the blade the data is meaningless.

2 with a Feather, a week with NOS Shick Plus Platinums, 4-6 with most of the 7 O'Clock series. Varies too much.

But I am glad I got a big batch of NOS Schicks!

I apologize for the vagueness, but it was deliberate. I am struggling with a problem with a new Muhle R41 which gives me only about half of the blade life I am used to with a number of razors. I get a maximum of two with it, and am used to getting at least three. I was surprised when a member posted that he normally got 15, and wondered if I was by nature a blade burner.

The razor shouldn't any effect on how long a blade lasts.

Your hair is either very dense, you got a defective lot of blades, or you're somehow damaging the blade when storing it and the razor.

Are you wiping your blades after you're shaves?

The razor shouldn't any effect on how long a blade lasts.

That's exactly what I thought, too. I use five aggressive razors in my rotation, and always can count on 3-4 good, comfortable shaves from each, using my favorite blades.

I bought a Muhle R41 two weeks ago and the standard blade life I was used to was cut nearly in half. When I posted a thread to talk about the issue, I ran into members who told me they got 10-15 good shaves per blade. I began to wonder if I was a blade burner.

I'm now hearing from members that razor design can effect blade life, and why. This was news to me.

Last edited:
The Slant is different enough that it does effect blade life. Think about holding a DE blade, buy the edges, between your thumb and forefinger. Unless you apply a fair amount of pressure, it won't cut you (don't try this at home).
Now think about holding the blade at each end and pulling the sharpened edge across your palm (think about it, don't try it). Again, you need to apply a lot of pressure to cut yourself, no matter the angle.
Now, think about turning the blade at just a slight angle but pulling in the same direction as before. Slice.
I submit: with the Slant, the blade will have less contact with the skin compared to a traditional safety razor to slice through the hairs. The scraping of the skin will dull the blade faster than a blade that just slices the hairs.

Usually use personna reds and use 3-4 times but lately I've been shaving with super max and while i'm still ordering personnas, they last longer and get really good around the 4th shave

Usually get 3 comfortable shaves, maybe 4th one depending on which blade and razor I'm using. Decided to take a Gillette green for a 5th shave today and man was I sorry I did. Lesson learned!!!

3 with red personnas, 2 with feathers, might push 4 tomorrow with a lab as there was little tugging, but a few weepers this morning on day 3. I do shave both my head and beard at the same time, 1 pass +touchup head, 3-4 pass + touchup beard with a slant.

Usually get 3 with Astra SP and Derbys, 4 with Gillette 7 O'Clock (yellow) and only 2 with locally bought Wilkinsons.

Top Bottom