What's new

A question for Red Sox fans - or other sports team monogamous fans

I grew up in Boston and so by default I am a Red Sox fan. Really, I'm sports agnostic but you can't grow up in Boston and not care about the Sox.

I'm now living in LA and have a 6 month son. I feel like he's gotta be a Dodger fan. I also lived 16 years in NY with about 5 of those in Brooklyn. My dad grew up in Brooklyn too, so I feel like the Dodgers are a good team to go with. They're national league.

The question is: can I root for the Dodgers? Do I have to be monogamous with the Sox?

Different leagues, different level of commitment - you're in the clear. The Brooklyn justification is tenuous, though.

Just hope they don't meet up in the Series. (The way the Dodgers are going, that won't happen until your son's at least 12.) Had that happen to my two childhood NFL teams and it was tough to watch. I felt like I was getting hosed by every call.

Cardinal O'Malley has provided a special dispensation for you.

In cases of inter-league play involving these two team, just commiserate together on the foibles of Manny Ramirez.

I haven't lived in Chicago for almost 15 years but I am still a Cub and Bear fan. Tennessee Titans?! Atlanta Braves?! Really???

You can root for the Dodgers, but you can never root for the Dodgers over the Sox.

For me, I no longer live in Boston, but I will always love the Red Sox. They will always be my team.

You can root for the Dodgers, but you can never root for the Dodgers over the Sox.

For me, I no longer live in Boston, but I will always love the Red Sox. They will always be my team.

This is exactly the sort of sentiment I was looking for. Thanks!

So long as you remember you are a member of Red Sox Nation and that membership can only be revoked under penalty of death! Heh, I like (or liked) the Dodgers too when I lived out there from '99-'03. I even went to all three games of the first series between them in Dodger Stadium, and of course the Sox got swept (they win about 20% of the games I attend). Different leagues, different cities, etc., and you're allowed to have secondary (or tertiary) "favorite teams."

However, as their current situation shows, you are buying low jumping on the Dodgers now. But (as opposed to getting to Fenway) you can probably get good tickets for a good price!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's just baseball so who really cares anyhow? I mean, if it were something significant like hockey and you liked the Bruins, well, you'd obviously be beyond redemption, but if you were say a Devils fan and moved to LA, liking the Kings would be fine.

... er, ... um ... okay.

If you have found Your Team For Life, you are entitled, nay required, to cheer for YTFL always. You must be very careful in selecting YTFL, as you can have only one (per sport, I guess.) Do not mistake a significant infatuation with Your Team, and think that you have found YTFL ... you must be careful, and remember that a tatoo may well be involved ... and the odds of some other team (a) having the exact same name and (b) becoming YTFL are pretty slim ... unless of course you are a CFL afficionado and like the Roughriders. (Canadian joke.)

Of course, part of your son's growing up process is finding His Own Team For Life. As part of the growing up process he may want to cheer with you, or cheer against you, but none of that is really selecting HOTFL (although that may eventually lead to the selection of HOTFL.) You can encourage him in the proper direction, but ultimately it is his decision and you must accept it. Of course, if HOTFL is different from YTFL, you are both allowed (and encouraged) to razz each other mercilessly (within the proper bounds of guy-hood) over the comparative success of the two teams. (Yes, one day soon he will rhyme "sox" with "sux" and remind you of that repeatedly. Children love repetition.)

But seriously ... baseball?? :confused1

Hockey?

Y'know, soccer has become, attendance-wise, more popular than hockey on this side of the border. Just sayin'.

:biggrin:

I grew up in Boston and so by default I am a Red Sox fan. Really, I'm sports agnostic but you can't grow up in Boston and not care about the Sox.

I'm now living in LA and have a 6 month son. I feel like he's gotta be a Dodger fan. I also lived 16 years in NY with about 5 of those in Brooklyn. My dad grew up in Brooklyn too, so I feel like the Dodgers are a good team to go with. They're national league.

The question is: can I root for the Dodgers? Do I have to be monogamous with the Sox?

I'm sure you'll do a great job raising your son into a fine young man and a Red Sox fan

While you are living in LA, of course you can support a NL team. That way you can support two teams.

When you come home, you can have the pleasure of going to Fenway.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hockey?

Y'know, soccer has become, attendance-wise, more popular than hockey on this side of the border. Just sayin'.

:biggrin:

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. :001_tt2:

You have it easy, at least your childhood favorite team still exists. Whenever someone asks who I root for, I have to look sad and mumble about no team ever filing the Expos-shaped hole in my heart.

The Phils are "my team" now, but but it's a Like, not a Love.

You have it easy, at least your childhood favorite team still exists. Whenever someone asks who I root for, I have to look sad and mumble about no team ever filing the Expos-shaped hole in my heart.

The Phils are "my team" now, but but it's a Like, not a Love.

I always liked the Expos. If I strike it rich I will start a new franchise and make you the new Expose GM. Deal?

Of course you don't need to root for your new home town team. And you have every right to brainwash your son into being a Red Sox fan. My brother has lived in Lalaland for more than ten years, and both of his kids, born and raised out there, are Boston sports fans.

Besides, being a Dodgers fan these days requires the kind of masochostic spirit you generally only find in natives.:wink2:

I see nothing wrong with having two teams, especially if one reps your hometown. And, contrary to what some others have said, if your teams do meet each other, I just see it as a win-win! Your team is going to win! Hooray! (nevermind that your team is also going to lose?)

Top Bottom