What's new

Aggressive blade it tame razor

Anybody try this combo? I was wondering if it was a good idea. I guess it depends on what is meant by an "aggressive blade". We can all agree on what is, and is not, an aggressive razor but not everybody agrees on aggressive blades. It seems alot of people think the Feathers are really sharp and unforgiving, so in my book that qualifies as aggressive.

Anybody try a Feather in a Gillette Tech, Superspeed, or an adjustable razor on a low setting? I'm looking for something sharper that will cut on the upstroke/against-the-grain, but not tug on hairs. I guess I should be ordering a sampler pack to try soon- what should I try, any recommendations?

I absolutely love the combination of a Feather in a Tech - it's been pretty much my every day combo for a while now.

My view is that blades vary by sharpness and razors by aggressiveness.

Sharpness is exactly that - how sharp the blade is in an absolute sense. In this regard, the Feathers are generally viewed as the "sharpest" blades out there.

Aggressiveness generally refers to how much of the blade is exposed by a razor and the gap between the blade and any safety bar. Techs and some of the Superspeeds are less aggressive - adjustables on higher settings, open combs, and the slant are considered more aggressive.

A sharp blade in an aggressive razor can be unforgiving and can lead to more nicks, but mostly more irritation. That being said, many guys like a Feather in a slant, but all agree that this combination requires a light touch.

A sharp blade in a less aggressive razor will be more forgiving and lesslikely to cause nicks or irritation. So, to this extent, a less agressive razor can "tame" a sharper blade. In my view, this would probably be a good combination for a newbie to try the Feathers out.

I tend to like a less sharp blade in an aggressive razor - that way I get the aggressive exposure that I think allows me to get the closeness I want without the irritation - Derby/Slant. I'm not a fan of the Superspeeds or the Techs generally, as I find it harder to get a good shave from them (I need to make more passes to get a close shave - which results in irritation). However, this post has intrigued me, so I may have to pop a Feather into my Superspeed.

In terms of what blades you should try, there's a ton out there, but I would stick to the basics - Derby (my favourite all-around blade), Feathers, Israeli Personas, Swedish Gillettes - to start. Try them all in the same razor - that way the blade is the only variable and note how they shave on different days. Any of these blades should go against the grain without any tugging - so if you're still experiencing tugging, its most likely your technique (especially with a new/newer blade).

Another thing to think about is whether you use a soap or cream - I find creams have more cushion, so tend to use a cream (or possibly a tallow or tripple-milled soap) for the first one or two shaves and then use whatever I feel like for the rest of the blades life.

Blade/razor combos are one of the most personal aspects of wetshaving, but my recommendation is to keep it simple to start with and then branch out.

Anybody try this combo? I was wondering if it was a good idea. I guess it depends on what is meant by an "aggressive blade". We can all agree on what is, and is not, an aggressive razor but not everybody agrees on aggressive blades. It seems alot of people think the Feathers are really sharp and unforgiving, so in my book that qualifies as aggressive.

Anybody try a Feather in a Gillette Tech, Superspeed, or an adjustable razor on a low setting? I'm looking for something sharper that will cut on the upstroke/against-the-grain, but not tug on hairs. I guess I should be ordering a sampler pack to try soon- what should I try, any recommendations?

Heck Yes! Feathers in a 40's SS IMHO is one of the best combos out there. I compare it to a great handling sports car with twin turbos:thumbup1:

I ordered some Feathers to try out off eBay. Probably I'll try them in a Tech or Gillette Slim Adjustable first.

I very often use a Feather in an HD, it's a great combo, IMO of course.

Top Bottom