What's new

Mission: BBS - Accomplished!

I am proud to report that no less than 10 minutes ago, I accomplished my first truly BBS shave. I did not use super-expensive products. I did not have Mike Ditka behind me pushing me along the way. Nay, my friends, all I had were the wise words from fellow members of this forum and I have to thank you all so much for the advice that led me to becoming a chronic faceturbator.

Ingredients:
Proraso Pre/Post for PS
Gillette 58 SS Black Tip
VDH Luxury + KMF Key Lime
AoS Pure Badger brush
Col Conk sterling silver shave mug
Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman

All I did was take a nice, relaxing shower, then put on some Proraso Pre/Post as soon as I stepped out. I then proceeded to whip up a superlather of VDH and KMF in my mug and applied a rough lather over my face, then applied a hot towel to my face for about a minute. I wiped that all off, relathered, and went to town.

What I learned:
1. Pressure is your enemy. It had to be the single hardest thing I had to learn when I made the transition from carts. ESPECIALLY on the neck (which, forever, was the single source of all my problems)
2. The four-pass method works. And it works well. But, as always, YMMV
3. Angle, angle, angle. MUST pay attention to blade angle, especially on the chin
4. Patience is key
5. You cannot find BBS, BBS must find you
6. My wife thinks I am now obsessed

I'm not looking to tell everyone that this is the be-all-end-all method for shaving, but for me it actually worked. Once again, thank you all so much!

You'll get there, John. It took me a whole lifetime to achieve BBS, even with carts. I literally had to forget everything about shaving and re-learn it when I started using a DE

Fantastic!

We live to read posts like this.

BTW, you could be obsessed about far worse than shaving. It's harmless, and I bet SWMBO enjoys the clean shaven face.

Awesome! I've been close to the BBS, got a few DFS but it always irritates the skin a half day later. Right now I'm just trying to get used to shaving without irritating my skin, then start shaving closer!

I'm jealous. Wet shaving hasn't worked for me at all. I still get superior results with an electric razor or cheap disposable razors.

Congrats. Agreed that the hardest thing to learn is that less is more when it comes to pressure. "Be the blade", to paraphrase Ty Webb.

Many more will come, I'm sure.

Top Bottom