What's new

Slant/38C Group Buy Good News/ Bad News

Gentlemen, the good news is that Merkur is going to produce a version of the Slant Hammer. The bad news is that there will be no group buy and they won't be producing it until after the first of the year. I had spoken to Jim Ayars of Vintage Blades and he agreed to handle the group buy if there was enough interest to move Dovo/Merkur into agreeing to make the razor. Jim spoke to Anne Rothstein of Merkur today. She said that they would not do the group buy but there had been so much interest generated by people requesting the Slant/38C kit that Merkur sees that there is a real demand for the razor and is definitely going to tool up for a large handled Slant. It will not be a Slant/38C but a unique design and that is even better IMHO. So that is the story. We have to wait but it is coming and it will be worth the wait. Thanks to B&B members for making it happen.

Good info, Jimmy.

A company that is listening to the 'Voice of the Customer'. What a great concept.

-- John Gehman

V

VR6ofpain

Slant hammer huh? Do you have any sketches of what this razor will look like? I will probably hold off on a new slant then, since I'll want to probably get this one. Though it all depends on one thing, will it come in gold?
:biggrin:

Slant hammer huh? Do you have any sketches of what this razor will look like? I will probably hold off on a new slant then, since I'll want to probably get this one. Though it all depends on one thing, will it come in gold?
:biggrin:

I don't know but I have a feeling it will be a jumbo version of the existing design, the handle being larger. If it is regular production item it may very well be issued in both finishes. I guess we just have to wait and see. I am going for it whatever it is.:thumbup1:

V

VR6ofpain

I don't know but I have a feeling it will be a jumbo version of the existing design, the handle being larger. If it is regular production item it may very well be issued in both finishes. I guess we just have to wait and see. I am going for it whatever it is.:thumbup1:
Sounds like most of us interested in a Slant (or another slant in your case!) will probably be considering if not buying this razor. Merkur might not have the best quality control, but it seems they want to listen to their customers. That is pretty cool by any standards.:yesnod:

So a company that responded to consumer demand-albeit a 'niche' group. I do believe I see a new razor in my futur(pun intended) around the first of the year!

Marty

So a company that responded to consumer demand-albeit a 'niche' group. I do believe I see a new razor in my futur(pun intended) around the first of the year!

Marty

I hope Merkur doesn't consider wetshavers to be a "niche" group:biggrin:

but in anycase slant-fan, you have a one of a kind slant or at least very very very very very rare

Yes and best of all it is a great shave. I think that some others may have kits on the way to them. Not sure how many. It will be interesting to see what they think of the Hammer when they get theirs up and running.

Well, I'm a little confused, and somewhat disappointed. I think it's great the way Merkur has listened to its customers. I just think they made the wrong response. Maybe it's because of my engineering background, but designing a totally new razor doesn't seem to make that much sense to me, at least to meet the current demand. They already produce all the parts that are needed to put the Slant head on the barberpole handle. All they have to do is make up a part number and start selling them. They would also then have a "matched set" on the barberpole handle with the bar (38C), open comb (12C), and the Slant. This would fit very nicely with the similar matched set which is the HD bar (34C), HD open comb (11C), and the Slant (37C).
Now, they could still go off and design some fantastic new heavy slant razor (wanna bet it will have a handle like a Futur?). And that might be a great seller, a year from now. After they spend a lot of money on new design and tooling.
And in the meantime, some here have already said they are going to hold off buying a Slant until the new one comes out. Why not ship the parts to those who want them, willing to pay good money right now? Those same people (RAD being what it is) will likely buy the new whiz-bang Slant next year as well! :rolleyes:

How's that old song go? "...sometimes I think I'm winning, then I'm losing again...":001_huh:

designing a totally new razor doesn't seem to make that much sense to me, at least to meet the current demand.

I second that opinion. It's already been established that the 38C is a winner in regards to both aesthetics and ergonomics. To forego inexpensive production of a razor that would be exactly what consumers are asking for today in favor of a costly redesign that will take six months and may not hit the target seems a bit foolish.

I must say that I will probably not purchase a 4 oz. razor with a slant head if it ends up having a handle like the Futur. A soapy sledgehammer is already enough of a liability for a ham-handed oaf such as myself. :scared:

Well, I'm a little confused, and somewhat disappointed. I think it's great the way Merkur has listened to its customers. I just think they made the wrong response. Maybe it's because of my engineering background, but designing a totally new razor doesn't seem to make that much sense to me, at least to meet the current demand. They already produce all the parts that are needed to put the Slant head on the barberpole handle. All they have to do is make up a part number and start selling them. They would also then have a "matched set" on the barberpole handle with the bar (38C), open comb (12C), and the Slant. This would fit very nicely with the similar matched set which is the HD bar (34C), HD open comb (11C), and the Slant (37C).
Now, they could still go off and design some fantastic new heavy slant razor (wanna bet it will have a handle like a Futur?). And that might be a great seller, a year from now. After they spend a lot of money on new design and tooling.
And in the meantime, some here have already said they are going to hold off buying a Slant until the new one comes out. Why not ship the parts to those who want them, willing to pay good money right now? Those same people (RAD being what it is) will likely buy the new whiz-bang Slant next year as well! :rolleyes:

How's that old song go? "...sometimes I think I'm winning, then I'm losing again...":001_huh:

In comparing the innards of the Slant and the 38C I found that the screw that is pressed into the top cap is the same length as that of the 38C top cap so I knew that if I had a 38C handle with a Slant blade platform attached it would work.

Looking at the butt end of the Slant I thought about placing that in the 38C handle but I found that it wouldn't be long enough for the screw to engage. Also I don't care for the rings under the head of the 38C. I am hoping that Merkur will use the same handle as is now on the current model Slant just longer. If they will machine the same end piece as is on the Slant now just lengthen it so that inside the handle it will engage the top cap screw they will have the familiar design that we know and love. That is what I hope that they do.

Well, I'm a little confused, and somewhat disappointed. I think it's great the way Merkur has listened to its customers. I just think they made the wrong response.

I cannot find something wrong in your arguments, but ...those well-behaving and rational companies that used to make the best DE razors in the world now are churning out plastic disposables by the millions. That's the most rationale, acclaimed, profitable, and easy route to extract money from customers in exchange for a solution to the morning shave problem. ;-)

Probably they choosed the most difficult route to obtain what in their opinion is a superior product. I agree with you, but I really cannot complain for Merkur's answer to the problem. Chapeau to Dovo/Merkur for their sensibility.

Perhaps a real frankenstein of a razor... A merging of the 38C, the Slant and (insert loud ominous music here)...the Progress! :eek:

The result: a long handle slant adjustable!:eek::eek:

Tremble in fear!!

Top Bottom