What's new

Puck lather

When I use soap, I go from the puck to making lather in a bowl. Can you build lather right on top of the puck?

When I use soap, I go from the puck to making lather in a bowl. Can you build lather right on top of the puck?

Sure, you can build lather right on top of the puck or you can also lather right on your face. I find that face-lathering saves me time and also allows me a better shave as the lathering time also doubles as additional face prep.

I think most people choose to lather in a bowl or on the face because lathering straight on the puck tends to waste product.

Sure, you can build lather right on top of the puck or you can also lather right on your face. I find that face-lathering saves me time and also allows me a better shave as the lathering time also doubles as additional face prep.

+1

Within the past several months I've abandoned bowl lathering. Face lathering is so much better for soaps and creams, especially with my hard water. It just took me awhile to realize it.

I prefer to use a bowl since I tend to build enough lather for three passes thus saving time I would've spent lathering directly on my face each pass. Also, my bowl is hand thrown pottery which retains heat rather well lending to a nice warm lather.

Using Marco's soft soap lathering technique feels like an extensive lather on the puck, finished with a face lather. It works quite well for me.

strop

Now half as wise
I think most people choose to lather in a bowl or on the face because lathering straight on the puck tends to waste product.

I do this with inexpensive pucks such as Col. Conk, Soap Opera, VDH, and Williams(YES, WILLIAMS) because I don't mind using more than necessary, but for otherw will bowl or face lather depending on my mood.

Mark

This is true. Also, getting the water ratio correct may be difficult because the brush may continue to pick up more soap and put it into the mix. When you use a separate bowl, you start with the soap you've loaded and then you add pure water until the ratio is good.

I do this with inexpensive pucks such as Col. Conk, Soap Opera, VDH, and Williams(YES, WILLIAMS) because I don't mind using more than necessary, but for otherw will bowl or face lather depending on my mood.

Mark

Honestly, I thought using separate bowls was just for creams. I've been lathering on the puck. I'm all for cheap and efficient. VDH worked well my way, but Col. Conk not so much. I'll try bowl lathering and see 1) how much more time it takes and 2) if the quality of the Col. Conk lather is better.

LB

Top Bottom