What's new

Transparent shaving solution

What is an alternative to a shaving cream that lathers? I don't like the idea that you can't see where you shave. What's a good product that will allow me to see where I shave and I don't have to use a brush for?

Hmmm the only thing that comes to mind would be a shave oil like Shave Secret, or King of Shaves makes some oils and shave serums that go on clear.

You should be able to use any of the newer gels like Nuetrogena, King of Shaves, Alba, Trader Joes. They are all brushless and even though they are a little whiteish, by the time you rub it on you can still see through them.

Jay

What is an alternative to a shaving cream that lathers? I don't like the idea that you can't see where you shave. What's a good product that will allow me to see where I shave and I don't have to use a brush for?
Both Kiss My Face Moisture Shave and The Real Shaving Co (cream and gel) are considered brushless creams. The directions say to "Wet hands, lather in palm and apply." No brush needed.
KMF can be found at stores such as the Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods while The Real Shaving Co products are typically found at your neighborhood Rite-Aid.

Throwing out a couple more suggestions for brushless creams. :straight:

I don't understand why you want to "see" your face when you shave. I've tried those see-through gels, and I can see where I've shaved much better using lather. Lather is opaque. When I shave a lathered area, the shaving removes the lather. So, places that still have lather on them are the places that still haven't been shaved.

I don't understand what problem the see-through gels solve.

Having said that, if I really wanted to "see," I would use King of Shave gel.

I'd recommend Alba creams. They're brushless, clear, easy to find and relatively cheap. My favourite is the Aloe Mint - moisturizes well and has a nice cooling effect.

Only other one I can think of is Ulltra shaving cream. It is clear, but it is a whole different kind of shaving. Also, can be a bit hard to find and expensive.

because I have a fine but very coarse beard, so when I shave the lather off, that part of my face still isn't smooth because Through the lather, I can't see through and see the hairs and I can't get it as smooth as I want since the hairs are very coarse and I think it would be a closer shave if I could see them and adjust the razor for those areas such as going across the grain where I see more beard still left as opposed to me being kind of in the dark with lathering creams and I realize after I rinse my brush that the shave was subpar which happens way too often to me. A solution could be to inspect, then do touch ups, I know, but for me that is very time consuming since most of the time I realize the shave was way below par after I think I am done shaving.

I don't understand why you want to "see" your face when you shave. I've tried those see-through gels, and I can see where I've shaved much better using lather. Lather is opaque. When I shave a lathered area, the shaving removes the lather. So, places that still have lather on them are the places that still haven't been shaved.

I don't understand what problem the see-through gels solve.

Having said that, if I really wanted to "see," I would use King of Shave gel.

What do you mean a whole differnt kind of shaving? Is Alba sold in the US if so, do you know where?

I'd recommend Alba creams. They're brushless, clear, easy to find and relatively cheap. My favourite is the Aloe Mint - moisturizes well and has a nice cooling effect.

Only other one I can think of is Ulltra shaving cream. It is clear, but it is a whole different kind of shaving. Also, can be a bit hard to find and expensive.

I recently tried something that might be just what you are looking for. Rise shave gel. It said on the tube, " Since The 50's" so I guess it isn't a new product. There were cans of the stuff too, but I grabbed the tube. Believe it or not, I bought it in a place called The Dollar Tree. It's one of those little stores you see in the strip malls around here in Alabama and everything in there is $1.
It shaved nice, but I prefer lather and lots of it.

because I have a fine but very coarse beard, so when I shave the lather off, that part of my face still isn't smooth because Through the lather, I can't see through and see the hairs and I can't get it as smooth as I want since the hairs are very coarse and I think it would be a closer shave if I could see them and adjust the razor for those areas such as going across the grain where I see more beard still left as opposed to me being kind of in the dark with lathering creams and I realize after I rinse my brush that the shave was subpar which happens way too often to me. A solution could be to inspect, then do touch ups, I know, but for me that is very time consuming since most of the time I realize the shave was way below par after I think I am done shaving.

When wet shaving; no matter which razor including carts, blade or type of lather you use it would be close to improbable to get 100% of the whiskers on a single pass with a coarse beard. It is possible with 2 or more passes doing a beard reduction, on the first pass lather your whole face and shave then rinse with water finding the stubble. On the second pass lather the stubble on both cheeks and chin, wet your fingers and spread the lather a bit, try XTG on the cheeks and chin only then rinse. next re-lather your neck and jawline under the chin using the same process as on the cheeks & chin. If you have any stubble you can't live with, use your fingers to apply a mall bit of lather to those areas only and go XTG the opposite direction or buff. Just a suggestion which may help improve your shaves, you might consider a more aggressive razor.

What do you mean a whole differnt kind of shaving? Is Alba sold in the US if so, do you know where?

It's different as you basically dry-shave with Ulltra. It looks like lotion, you rub it into your face til it disappears and then you shave. Directions are not to use any water or rinse your razor during the shave. Think there are a couple review threads here on the board; try searching for Ultra.

Yes, according to the Alba website products are available at: "Whole Foods Market, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, Bread & Circus, Central Market, Chamberlains, Fresh Fields, Mrs. Greens, or select GNC stores, as well as leading independent natural food retailers that carry a wide selection of our products."

proxy.php

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've gotten good shaves using brushless creams from Dove and Nivea. The key to using either product is to keep wetting your face to keep things nice and slick.

Top Bottom