What's new

Rapira Platinum Lux vs. Rapira Swedish SuperSteel

How are both on a tough beard? How do they compare to each other? Are they smooth and sharp? I've never tried them, but I want to.

Tried one of each in my 89L; like others better. For current Russian, I am torn between Gillette Rubie Platinum and Gillette 7 'Clock Super Platinum (Russian blue). Edit: Did not really answer the OP's question. Average sharpness and smoothness. The ones I mentioned, plus 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow), Personna Meds, Perma-Sharp Supers and Feathers are sharper and smoother to me.

Last edited:
Have not tried Rapira blades, but have used Voskhods and love them. From my first impressions (a few shaves) I found them right up there with the best of the St. Pete made blades.

Tried them both as part of a pif. I found the Platinum Lux very smooth and acceptably sharp. The Swedish SuperSteels were harsh and pulled from the 1st pass. I would buy the Lux's
if the price were right. Astra SPs are a better blade than both of these and cheaper as well. As always YMMV.

I should have added in my post, Voskhods are also made by Rapira and are likely the best of the Rapira-made blades.

The Rapira Swedish SuperSteel is the blade that you want if you would like to do a five-pass shave. Why? Because it's duller than crap. You can't really cut yourself with the SuperSteel, mostly because it couldn't cut through an overripe piece of cantaloupe. It's dull, man, dull. Tugs like heck even with a brand new blade on the first WTG pass. However, you can keep doing pass after pass with impunity. WTG. XTG. ATG. Over the throat, under the ear, off the bottom of your nose ... nothing but net. Hell, use it to exfoliate your Adam's Apple if you want - probably not going to be a problem. Once the first pass is done (and you've endured the tugging), then you can buff and shine yourself to your heart's content, and you will never feel raw or razor-burned. Perhaps that's the intent? Could it be intentionally designed like that?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I haven't used the Platinum Lux nor the Supersteel, but the Rapira Super Stainless is my go-to blade. For me, they're better than Astras and Feathers and cheaper to boot.

Where do you get Rapira Super Stainless's from (American vendors if you know any) Thanks.

I haven't used the Platinum Lux nor the Supersteel, but the Rapira Super Stainless is my go-to blade. For me, they're better than Astras and Feathers and cheaper to boot.

Do you have a tough beard? Were they smooth and sharp? Can you do a good two pass shave with them?

Have not tried Rapira blades, but have used Voskhods and love them. From my first impressions (a few shaves) I found them right up there with the best of the St. Pete made blades.

Do you have a tough beard? Were they smooth and sharp? Can you do a good two pass shave with them?

I received a 5-pack of Voskhods with an order from Razorbladesandmore and I tried 1 but it didn't do it for me. I'll send the remaining 4 blades to you if you like. Just PM me.

I do have a tough beard and I did find them smooth and sharp- although I've been unable to get a really good 2-pass shave from any blade. Two is all I need for most of my face, but neck and under the chin require some extra effort against and across grain for me. I've used all of the Russian 7 O'Clocks, several varieties of Gillette branded blades, most of the Personnas including meds, SPutniks, Astras, Timors, Feathers, Iridiums and Perma-Sharps. I think Voskhod holds its own against almost all of these. If you check out the Shave Den site you'll find a group buy they did there for over 20,000 of these. So there are plenty of folks there who love them enough to buy a few hundred of them!

+1 yep, super stainless blades are one of my favourite blades. I wouldnt say they are better than feathers, but absolutely better than astras. In personal they are very similar to crystals.

The Rapira Platinum Lux is sharp and smooth for me, smoother than the Astra SP, which is a blade I like a lot. The Swedish Super Steel was not quite as sharp but was still fairly smooth.

The Platinum Lux are a great deal right now at <$9/100. Too good for me to pass up for such a top performing blade.

If you really want sharp and smooth, I suggest Gillette Nacet. Best blade I've ever used.

Out of the two I prefer the Platinum Lux though I do enjoy the Swedish Super, I think Platinum Lux have the edge on sharpness and feel smoother to me.

Voskhod are pretty decent and work fine with my course whiskers. Certainly smooth but I would say, for me, not quite as sharp as Platinum Lux.

Top Bottom