What's new

GEM "Keepers Of The Flame"

It really makes me wonder about how many users of the old GEM/Star/Ever-Ready SE razors there might really be out there.

What I mean is, even here in N.E. Oklahoma I find varieties of the GEM SE blade all over the place. I find them in locations ranging from larger supermarkets, chain drug stores and even including small independent pharmacies in very small towns all around where I reside.

Obviously, there are still many shavers still devoted to the old "GEM" SE to justify continued manufacture and distribution of the blades even in a state as sparsely populated as Oklahoma.

I wonder what the demographics of ownership are. Is there a huge amount of old guys here in N.E. Oklahoma that continue to use the GEM SE razor that justifies wide distribution of the blades in this particular area of the country?

Judging from previous posts, I don't think this phenomena is unique to my location.

Still, whenever there is a Pella group buy on this forum I will continue to stock up. You never know.... one day it all might end very suddenly.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
I've noticed the same thing around here, no shortage of SE blades locally. I decided awhile back not to participate in any more group buys but instead buy them locally, they cost a bit more that way but it might help keep them in the stores. I can get the 10 blade dispensers of Treets and Gem Blue Stars for $3.89 at two places and the same from CVS is $3.99 and I can live with that price.

I can get 10 packs of the Gem Stainless at a Shop-Rite only 3 miles from where I live. $4.79 + tax, which beats the Walgreens price of $5.99. Treets and CVS brands are also easy to find. I thought it was because there's a retirement community near here, but maybe there's more to it than that.

Not too hard to find SE blades here in SW Fla, most CVS's & Walgreen's stock them. DE blades are about the same, Walgreen's, CVS, Sweetbay & Walmart stock them. Injector blades are just not around...

I suspect that occasional amateur home-improvement projects contribute a significant fraction of drugstore SE blade sales as well. If only injector blades could be used in a paint scraper, they might still be available too!

Here in NJ there's a lot of stores that carry both DE and SE blades, I'm sure that marketing Geniuses are aware that 100.000's razors were made that are still around...kinda like antique cars, there a ot of auto stores that have 70 year old auto parts for old cars that are still around.

Top Bottom