What's new

Parker 99R first shave

Well I just shaved my face with a Parker 99R and here`s what I have to say about it. I liked the shave but I cut myself all over my face. It felt way different than my schick Krona. I used a shark super chrome razor blade. Will I ever stop getting those small cuts? It doesnt hurt my face to badly to rub my hand against the grain of my face, not nearly as much as it used to. Is there any secrets I should know about? The razor itself feels great in my hand. Very heavy and the etched handle makes me feel better about holding it with slippery hands. The razor is very aggressive IMHO but all i have is a krona to compare it with right now.The finish on it is beautiful and I especially like the barber pole look. The weight of it is heavy, way heavier than the krona but that is the best part of the razor IMO.

Last edited:
I always found the Krona to be a gentile razor, very mild, and adding the extra weight as is with the parker, maybe you did what you are used to in regards to your shave, so maybe yopu need to lighten up on the pressure a tad and give it a bit of time.

It will work, just have to be patient whilst finding that sweet spot for the razor you have.

The Krona is a way milder razor than any Parker built. Parkers are pretty aggressive. I would suggest adjusting your technique when using the Parker, it's heavier and has a greater blade gap than the forgiving Krona.

Well I did still get alot of shave cuts with the krona as well, looked like someone took a tiny cheese grater to my face. I haop I can figure it out I do like shaving with my DE razor and I guess to be truthful it only happens when I shave ATG. I make one pas WTG, then ATG, and finally against the grain

So i just shaved with my Parker 99R again with my Derby Extra blades and all I can say is WOW what a difference I was even able to shave against the grain with slight discomfort which I will blame on my technique! other than that one very small nick and NO razor burn this time at all. Finished it off with a splash of Superior 70 Bay Rum from Walgreens. I have never had this close and nice of a shave before.

I find the Parker 99R to be a mild razor myself. Best results have been with a Gillette 7 O'Clock (yellow pack) blade.

I like the 99R myself, and find the weight reassuring and nicely balanced. The handle, to me, is its best feature. It provides a rock-solid grip.

I was surprised when I saw opinions like Wolfman's above that it is a mild razor. I find it pretty aggressive myself, and wondered if the variances in perceived aggressiveness were do to manufacturers quality control. One thing to watch for: because the TTO doors lack an extra quarter-turn lock, they at times loosen by themselves and the razor becomes very aggressive.

I thought it was pretty agresive myself but I only have a schick krona to compare it to. I have a gillette super speed black hanfle on the way so ill try that out and see what happens with a derby extra blade

I must have a 99R that slipped through quality control. Comparing my 99R to my black handle SS, the 99R is mild. In fact I would probably have a very difficult time cutting or nicking myself with the 99R. Wombat, please post your results after using the black handle SS.

Top Bottom