What's new

Shaver Interview - Marco

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was quite happy to ask Marco for an interview as he is a great Gent around here and I always wanted to know him a bit more. I was glad that Marco agreed to do the interview. This interview is added to the interview page.

As always, if you have any further questions for Marco, please post here.

Who are you? / Where are you located?
My name is Marco. I'm 34 and live in Rome, Italy.

How do you take your coffee?
Espresso! You know, Italians have a huge love for coffee!

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
I've always been a wet shaver, since I started to shave almost 17 years ago. Therefore, unlike many others here, I never changed my shaving routine that much. I found B&B casually, while on the internet. And, my friend, I have found the most beautiful community in the World. I have many friends here and it's always a big pleasure for me to spend my time on B&B with these fine Gentlemen.

What was it that held your interest?
As just mentioned above, B&B is simply the finest wet shaving community in the World.

How did you get started with DE's? What did you start with?
My father is a wet shaver, my grandfather was a wet shaver... The first DE I used was a vintage Gillette, but I do not remember exactly which one.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
I'm a 99% soap user and use both soft soaps and hard triple-milled soaps, both tallow and vegetable ones. Only occasionally I use shaving creams, I simply like soaps more. And I always face lather.

Determination is key when shaving, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I think I already answered above to this question.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:

• 3 razors: Merkur 1904, Merkur HD and Edwin Jagger DE 89 Barley.
  • 2 brushes: Simpson Duke 3 and Chubby 2, both in Best.
  • 3 soaps: Please allow me four here: Cella, Valobra stick, La Toja Manantiales and Martin de Candre.
  • 2 creams: Acca Kappa 1869 in the bowl and RazoRock XXX.
  • 3 colognes: Domenico Caraceni 1913, Acqua di Parma Colonia and Dior Fahrenheit.
  • 3 Aftershaves: Italian Floid Blue, Spanish Floid Mentolado Suave and Proraso.

What is your blade preference and what is your rotation regime?
I wholeheartedly love two blades: The Israeli Red Personna and the Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile. I change blade after 3/4 shaves.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
I'm reading a book on WWII and the secret messages between Mussolini and Churchill. My next one? I do not know.

Favorite Movie or two?
American Gangster (Denzel Washington is my all-time favourite actor).

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
Martin Luther King was, is, will always be an example of excellence to follow.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
Take your time, proceed slowly and carefully, do not apply any pressure... Sounds familiar here?

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
Hints on new soaps. La Toja Manantiales and Martin de Candre have been a huge surprise for me. And I discovered them thanks to B&B.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
Respect everyone's ideas and enjoy your time here.

You only use Safety Razors usually? No straights?
I love DE razors. I know how to use and handle a straight, but DE shaving is my choice.

$Marco Interview 1 91-1.jpg

$Marco Interview 2 92.jpg

$Marco Interview 3 57.jpg

Great interview! Thanks Luc and Marco.

For anyone who is seeing some of Marco's photography for the first time, run on over to the SOTD forum to enjoy more; his ranks among the very best B&B has to offer.

Great interview! Thanks Luc and Marco.

For anyone who is seeing some of Marco's photography for the first time, run on over to the SOTD forum to enjoy more; his ranks among the very best B&B has to offer.

+1. Marco is one of B&B's finest.

Great to get to know him better -- but no questions about his great photographs & photography skill?! Why not ask him a couple on that topic too?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you kindly for the interview, Luc! :thumbup1: And thanks everyone for the nice words of appreciation! :thumbup:

P.S. If you have further questions for me, just ask! :001_smile

Great interview! Marco, you have help far many more people that you may think. I for one, have benefited from your knowledge of Italian products, especially soaps.

I think it's funny that when stranded on a desert island, you can ONLY choose 3 razors, 2 brushes, 3 soaps, 2 creams, 3 colognes, and 3 aftershaves.

And that still wasn't enough soap !!

Great interview Gents. Marco is truly one of B&B's finest. Always willing to help out newbies and veterans alike. Its good to get to know more about this outstanding gentleman

Excellent interview Luc :thumbup:. I love our Italian dude/maestro :thumbup1:. Aside from his gentlemanly conduct, he is a fine steward of the SOTD forum as well.

Thank you for sharing

Top Bottom