What's new

Attention Darwin Razor Owners

This might seem a little silly but I see other threads trying to get a count of how many people own a certain type of rare razor. I would like to get a definitive count of the Darwin razor owners and which model you own here on B&B. If I misspelled your name or you know longer own it, I apologize and please correct me. My reason for doing this is to figure out how many there actually are and if anyone knows anything else about the history of this razor. Details about this company and it's razors are so hard to come by.

Off the top of my head besides myself (I own a Darwin Deluxe), there are:

MementoMori
Intrigued
Haiku
TheRazorSleepsForNoOne
Barefoot Joe (his razor is enroute)
GreginDallas (not sure though as I believe he moved on to straights)

There have to be more owners than that. Surely this company didn't produce 20 razors and go out of business. :001_smile I have become increasingly fascinated with this razor as it is the best shaving instrument I have ever used. I am sure some of you have seen me singing its' praises before and I have said I am trying not to love it as much as I do due to my SE collection (and 10 year SE blade stash) but I shaved with it this morning and had my best shave ever.

Ultimately, I will be doing more experimenting with the razors that I do own but I am pretty sure that my RAD is probably dead and I will make a decision on liquidating most of my small collection. I do love my Ever Ready Streamline too so I may keep that as my razor during my work week (using my Darwin on the weekends) until I exhaust my SE blades and then I would sell them off. Or I may like the Darwin Deluxe so much, I liquidate the collection soon! You never know. :w00t:

In advance, thank you for your participation in this thread.

Mine is a Darwin Standard with a case. It looked unused when I got it. Though I use it, it still looks unused. The magic of cobalt steel.

I also have a case of 100 NOS cobalt steel Darwin blades.

I know pretty much nothing about the company and would also love to know more.

I do still own my cased Darwin Deluxe with a pack of NOS Darwin cobalt steel blades. It's my most prized razor, and almost definitely the only one I'd keep if I had to get rid of all but one.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I own two Darwin Deluxe (one cased, one without), an uncased Darwin Standard , a cased Darwin Bijou, and a cased Darwin Mustache razor. I also have one that is similar to a Rolls razor. They made two versions of this, one called "Darwin Universal" and the other called "Darwin Deluxe" (kind of adds to the confusion doesn't it?). I don't know what version I have as I haven't found any information on how to tell the difference. I also have a box of 100 NOS cobalt steel Darwin blades.

From what I read and saw drawings of in Waits, they also made two models of DE that I have yet to find. The first one, called "Darwin Miracol", had a plastic handle (mottled green or maroon) and the second, called "Darwin Popular", was a chromium plated razor with a knurled handle.

I will try to post some pictures of my Darwin family later today.

I have a Standard, no case. I do not use mine because it is a bit too aggressive for me. Also, strangely, I do not like the way it fits in my hand. Beauty is not everything.

Pictures Anyone ?

Here's mine.

proxy.php

Joe, that must be the ultra rare adjustable model, am I right? I have never seen that one before. Looks pretty aggressive. :w00t: I do like your "slightly evolved" statement. :001_smile I am sure that modification will not affect the shave at all.

To everyone else, thanks for replying in this thread. I am trying to look up old threads and combine what we do know about this razor into one thread. It's a shame really. There isn't even a shavewiki on the Darwin razors. I don't know how to edit it either. Nor do I have a Waits compendium so I am not sure what they say but with the limited amount of these razors out there, either the production run was very limited or everyone who has one knows what an excellent shaver it is and keeps it.

I will try to take pics of mine later and post it. If anyone has any further info please post it. Thanks.

Here are pics of my Darwin Deluxe with case. Remember, I am not a photographer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :rolleyes5
$Darwin4.jpg$Darwin3.jpg$Darwin2.jpg
$Darwin1.jpg

I thought Standard was not made of cobalt steel, am I wrong?

There was a thread a month or 2 ago where this was debated and the consensus, I believe, was that they are all cobalt steel since they only made a couple of models. It didn't make sense that they would change the steel for each model. I can't find the thread off hand and I don't believe we ever found any proof. Just speculation that it made more fiscal sense to keep it at one type steel.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I thought Standard was not made of cobalt steel, am I wrong?

In Waits the Deluxe is referred to as stainless even though we know from the stamping on the guard that it is cobalt steel. I believe that the Standard and Bijou are also cobalt steel. The Mustache razor with the knurled handle is plated like its Popular counterpart.

There was a thread a month or 2 ago where this was debated and the consensus, I believe, was that they are all cobalt steel since they only made a couple of models. It didn't make sense that they would change the steel for each model. I can't find the thread off hand and I don't believe we ever found any proof. Just speculation that it made more fiscal sense to keep it at one type steel.

In Waits the Deluxe is referred to as stainless even though we know from the stamping on the guard that it is cobalt steel. I believe that the Standard and Bijou are also cobalt steel. The Mustache razor with the knurled handle is plated like its Popular counterpart.

Thank you for your clarifications, Gentlemen.

Top Bottom