What's new

What's a non aggressive razor ?

The Merkur 38C (and the short-handled 34C) are moderately aggressive and are frequently recommended as a good starter handle. The Edwin Jagger DE89 models are frequently recommended also, and are usually classified as slightly milder than the Merkurs. A vintage Gillette Superspeed, either the 40s-design or the later-model Flare Tips and Black-Handles are also excellent starter gear when cleaned-up, and are less expensively gotten here on the B/S/T forum (as well as at antique stores and auction sites). The mildest starter handles would be the vintage Gillette Tech 3-piece razors (very easy to find), and the Blue-Tip Superspeed.

I would actually recommend a Weishi. Mild, cheap (about $15 shipped on eBay) but built well enough to last for a while. If you can find a Merkur that cheap, it might be a decent choice but others have had the handle snap off the threaded portion of the head assembling their razors for shaving, so that manufacturer does not build their mid-line razors very well. If they have a TTO, it may last longer but I would still look for some other brand. I use vintage Gillettes, a newer Sabi (well built TTO but very aggressive, not for the beginner) and a vintage Schick Krona. I would also purchase a blade sampler for your friend but avoid the Feather blades until he is more experienced, those blades are unforgiving and very sharp -- lack of skill with those blades could cause his face to look like a Freddy Krueger victim.

EJ DE89 and a 1940's Super Speed or any of the Super Speeds except the Red Tip. The 38C is more aggressive than most of the Gillette TTO's so I'd stay away from it if you want a more forgiving razor.

The Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6 is a very good beginner's razor and not aggressive. This is the Lord with the Merkur-type head. If you look in the Vendor section, you can find the Lord Premium for $12 delivered with a pack of Bluebird blades. IMO, the Merkur 38 is too aggressive for a beginner.

eric.

I would consider a Merkur HD 34C to be a non-agressive razor. It was the first one I purchased when I got into DE Razors. I have added another 5 razors into the rotation since then, many of them considered aggressive, but the 34C is still one of my favorites. It has a traditional old school short handle that turns some people off. For myself, it keeps me out of trouble by not applying too much pressure when shaving. I just do the Manic59 thing and hold it like a dart concentrating on angle. Works great.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Can't beat a 40's Superspeed for a smooth, non-aggressive, shave. Preferably with a well recognized forgiving blade. Israeli Red Personna.

The Ming Shi safety razor, often sold as the Derby safety razor, is an excellent choice. It is a Chinese Gillette Super Speed (twist to open) knock-off, of good quality, and not too aggressive. It can be had for 12-15$ on the web, and comes with a decent case.

My vote would go to the Edwin Jagger range too, DE86/87/89. Why does nobody ever mention the ebony or ivory coloured versions on here, chrome isn't everything!

I have a fair selection of razors and most are relegated to the back of the shelf these days. I've done the aggressive razors and find I get just as close a shave from my DE87 as I do from a slant and feather! Just much more comfortably.

Gareth

Top Bottom