What's new

Utter newbie, saying hello.

All my life I've been shaving with expensive multi-bladed cartridges and aerosol goop, and mocking my electric shave friends, because I thought I was doing the 'real thing.'

How wrong I was.

A few days ago, on an utter whim, I ordered some DE stuff (from Amazon.co.uk, because I didn't know any better). This morning it arrived.

Merkur 1904 (just 'cos I liked the idea of it being a 1904 replica)
Edwin Jagger brush
Crabtree & Evelyn soap.
Alum block
(and I wasn't going to tell you this... but also a Parker shavette, because I have aspirations of progressing to a straight razor but wanted to sample the experience before handing over any serious money)

So, I unpacked it and had my first DE shave. Very nice experience. None of the blood and agony that I was half-expecting, though my neck still feels a bit tender in a few places. I presume that will pass as my skin gets a little more used to the blade?

It's definitely the closest shave I've had since... actually, since EVER. I'm going to stick with this, while hanging round the forum and trying to pick up tips (and the courage to eventually invest in a nice straight razor and strop.

Oh, and a quick question if anyone's still reading - How to use an alum block? Do I use it while my face is still pretty wet, or dry off my face and just wet the block?

Anyway, hello!!!

Welcome! That's a good setup. I've never used alum block so I'll let somebody else answer that question. Enjoy!

Welcome aborad. Take your time to learn and do not become discouraged. Wet shaving is the greatest way to shave and very rewarding.

I also picked up a Parker shavette...

After using it one time (for just a section of my face) I'd say it's nothing to be ashamed of admitting. I think that if I can learn how to get a cut free shave with it I'll have enough confidence to venture into the real straights. They say the two are nothing alike but as a newbie just learning how to hold the razor, how to switch hands, how to TRY to see what you are doing in the mirror... I think there are some things worth learning there. And it shaved the living heck out of the cheek I was brave enough to goof around on. ;)

Anyhow, you have some veteran welcomes so I'll toss a newbie welcome in the mix.

Welcome to the B! I use an alum block in three different ways.

I rub the block over my shaved skin at the end of the shave.
I touch the block with wet fingers and apply some alum solution on my face.
I touch the block with wet fingers to provide traction on the razor, for a better grip, or traction on my face to stretch the skin while using a straight razor.

A good addition to your kit would be witch hazel. It is applied after shaving and helps heal the skin. Also get a blade sampler if you haven't purchased one yet.

Have Fun!

Greetings Whitefort,

I usually rinse well after shaving and use the block while my face is dripping wet. But, I have done it the other way, too. There is nothing critical about using a block. I like the feedback I get using a block. If I get a lot of sting I know the blade is getting old or my technique is slipping. My brother developed a MRSA infection under his chin just out of the blue. Probably an utter fluke. Nothing that couldn't be treated, but maybe an alum block could have prevented that. Maybe somebody who knows about such things will chime in?

Welcome aboard the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom