What's new

Creases in dress shoes

So I've got a pair of shoes that have been used a few times and have been sitting in a shoebox consistently when not in use. I've started to look into cleaning these off and have seen that people are using shoe trees for keeping the creases out of the shoe.

How bad are these creases and is there anything I can (or should) do about them? Should I start using a shoe tree now?

Thanks!

- Just J

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The leather will crease a bit no matter what. Eventually, that's part of the charm of a good pair of shoes ... part of the patina, if you will. But too much ofa good thing is a bad thing, so shoe trees help. Your shoes will not look new for long at all; your aim is not to keep them looking new but to keep them looking well cared for.

Gents, thanks for the tacit, well put advice. I'm trying to find some shoe trees in my neck of the woods and feel a little better knowing that my shoes aren't a lost hope yet. I plan to purchase some higher end shoes in the future once I get the hang of keeping these clean.:)

- J

Creases are fine if they are in the natural place (where your toes bend.) Some people make a point of breaking shoes in by flexing them to prevent creases forming in the wrong place. Good shoes shouldn't normally need this though. (In fact, it's probably more of a boot practice now I think about it.)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but always use shoe trees. I consider shoe trees an automatic part of purchasing shoes. I know Alden will usually include them, if I ask, with the shell cordovans.

Last edited:
Gents, thanks for the tacit, well put advice. I'm trying to find some shoe trees in my neck of the woods and feel a little better knowing that my shoes aren't a lost hope yet. I plan to purchase some higher end shoes in the future once I get the hang of keeping these clean.:)

- J
Take a look at "Cedarville Store". They sell really good shoe trees online and have great customer service

Allen Edmonds has some reasonably priced cedar shoe trees. I received them in two or three days as well. Good service. I just ordered them from their online store.

Bought my cedar shoe trees off Zappos and dont have a complaint in the world. Wood is wood no matter who's brand name is on the shoe trees.

Quality leather, shoe trees, leather conditioner and not wearing the same pair two days in a row will help diminish creasing and make your shoes last longer. I always apply extra leather conditioner in areas where the shoe creases. Also, some waxes will dry out the leather.

Top Bottom