What's new

Gillette # 66 Question British Aristocrat

I have a question in regards to the Gillette # 66 Aristocrat British Version:

I see some of the Gillette # 66 British versions have a (ll) stamp on the bottom of the handle, what does that mean?

Also I just recently purchased one that has no Patent number on it? Neither a Stamp of (ll) what could that mean?

Is mine still a Gillette #66 even if it has patent pending on it? and no Stamp?

Im sure there are some Gillette Fanatics in here that will be able to fill me in.

Thanks Guys

if im not mistaken, it may be a french canadian made

Attachments

• $IMG_0129-1.jpg
    $IMG_0129-1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 556
  • $IMG_0126-1.jpg
    $IMG_0126-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 548
  • $IMG_0127-1.jpg
    $IMG_0127-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 548
I have a very similar Made in England Aristocrat with the II mark. I posted a question about it some time ago on the forum. I thought it was a #66 but was advised here that it is in fact a #70. I gather the difference is that the #66 is rhodium plated and does not have the II mark whereas the #70 does have the II mark and is nickel plated- otherwise they look identical. Mine is very shiny and silver looking, as opposed to my other Gillettes which have a duller, bluer look which I gather is chrome plating.

My English Flare Tip SS made in the early 1950's has a head that looks identical to the Aristocrat and has the II mark, and I have a couple later English flare tips with exactly the same head and II mark. All shave pretty much the same but the fatter handle on the #70 gives me a better sense of feel than the others- but all are fine shavers.

Attachments

• $P1040297.JPG
    $P1040297.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 530
  • $P1040298.JPG
    $P1040298.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 528
  • $P1040299.JPG
    $P1040299.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Now I am really confused. Does anyone know if the rhodium plated #66 ever actually had the II stamped on the head?

Still it could be a #70 but after I read this article my theory was wrong. That "II" mark was used in Gillette razors after a specific date, imho. In this article the author said some of Rockets were marked with this "II" symbol but the others had not. Here it is.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206

yes, thats true, also the III marking refered to dates of superpeeds..English Red Tip Super Speed; this is the English version of the American Red Tip Super Speed. Marked Brit. Pat. 694093 and III. A substantial 66 grams...English Super Speed; this uncommon razor is modeled after the American 1954-1957 Super Speed. Brit. Pat. 694093 and II marks, 57 grams...tV Rocket; this is the only Rocket I know of that is Rhodium plated. I can’t explain why but they sure do shine. Perhaps these were made for a promotion like the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports and only made in 1958 like the TV Special. No one knows for sure, but these razors are very uncommon. Has the II symbol under head and patent pending or Brit. Pat. 694093 in the blade tray. Weighs the same as the standard flare tip at 59 grams...Blue Tip Rocket; this is possibly the rarest of the Flare tip Rockets and is part of the pre-adjustable series like the colored American Super Speeds. These light shavers also have the aluminum handle like the American razor and weigh 47 grams. I’ve seen all of four of these shavers in my days searching. These had a I mark under head and the Brit. Pat. 694093....it very confusing, but the Op's razor II means its not rhodium.

Last edited:
Thanks Bestarrkin and Alex for the information. So a #70 is what both Jordy and I have. Meanwhile, I'll have to go weighing my Flare Tips to see which is what. It's all so complicated, and all I really wanted was to save a couple bucks on my shaving bill and look what you've done to me..... Oh well- its still a cheap hobby.

From what I understand, the 'I', 'II' and 'III' marks are the equivalent of the '- -', '0' and '+ +' marks that are found on American Super Speeds and indicate how aggressive the head is. Blue Tip Rockets and Super Speeds have the 'I' or '- -' marks respectively, 'II' and '0' are the 'normal' version (Flare Tip Rockets and Super Speeds, for example) and Red Tip models have 'III' or '+ +'.

Not all TTOs had those marks, however.

From what I understand, the 'I', 'II' and 'III' marks are the equivalent of the '- -', '0' and '+ +' marks that are found on American Super Speeds and indicate how aggressive the head is. Blue Tip Rockets and Super Speeds have the 'I' or '- -' marks respectively, 'II' and '0' are the 'normal' version (Flare Tip Rockets and Super Speeds, for example) and Red Tip models have 'III' or '+ +'.

I've seen Red Tips with the "+ +" markings. My '58 non-Rocket USA Blue Tip has the "o o" marks on it though, instead of the "- -" markings as you indicated.

Are the I, II and III marking on the underside of the blade tray indications of the aggressiveness of the razor rather than the plating material? What about the ones with no marking? When were these marks introduced? I have four English razors- an Aristocrat, a Flare Tip SS, and two later flare tips from the 1950s and 60s and all are marked II, and all shave substantially the same. It does make sense that the II marking would indicate the middle level of aggressiveness. I recall in the 1950s advertising jingles sung during baseball games in the US 'To look sharp, and to feel sharp too- choose the razor that is right for you- light, medium or heavy.... ' and so forth. It isn't surprising there would be a corresponding razors in the UK.

For what it's worth I've got an English Red Tip SS and Red Tip Rocket that both have III on the bottom, so it would seem to agree with the theory the marks are indicators for aggressiveness.

Thanks Bestarrkin and Alex for the information. So a #70 is what both Jordy and I have. Meanwhile, I'll have to go weighing my Flare Tips to see which is what. It's all so complicated, and all I really wanted was to save a couple bucks on my shaving bill and look what you've done to me..... Oh well- its still a cheap hobby.
ur welcome

it is on some mdels and years, not the #70. #66 ect.
Alex, in that article some of #59s and HD Rockets have II mark and other razors which are same model don't.
yes, some models the markings means its not rhodium, and also means levels of aggressiveness, its not a perfect guide or science as been stated before.
Are the I, II and III marking on the underside of the blade tray indications of the aggressiveness of the razor rather than the plating material? What about the ones with no marking? When were these marks introduced? I have four English razors- an Aristocrat, a Flare Tip SS, and two later flare tips from the 1950s and 60s and all are marked II, and all shave substantially the same. It does make sense that the II marking would indicate the middle level of aggressiveness. I recall in the 1950s advertising jingles sung during baseball games in the US 'To look sharp, and to feel sharp too- choose the razor that is right for you- light, medium or heavy.... ' and so forth. It isn't surprising there would be a corresponding razors in the UK.
the system has varoius meanings as been stated, it can mean its not rhodium or it tells of its aggressiveness, and some don't have markings.

So I know this is a total necrothread, but I was searching on No 66 Gillette Aristocrats, and saw mention of a stamp to the effect of II on the underside. I have a Gillette No 58 inbound that has that same II stamp on the underside of the head. Anyone heard of this on a British No. 58? And is the No 58 Rhodium plated as well?

no 58.jpg

So I know this is a total necrothread, but I was searching on No 66 Gillette Aristocrats, and saw mention of a stamp to the effect of II on the underside. I have a Gillette No 58 inbound that has that same II stamp on the underside of the head. Anyone heard of this on a British No. 58? And is the No 58 Rhodium plated as well?

View attachment 1396877
#58 should be nickel plated. They also produced a lighter version with an aluminium base 34g vs 68g(brass)

As far as I know the English department simply used the "I", "II" and "III" markings to show the user level of aggression. The 'Blue Tip', 'Flare Tip' and 'Red Tip' line should show that.

Quite a few of there others razors were marked with "II" eg. #58 or 4.gen British 'Aristocrat' (#66) and multiple of their 'Rocket'-models.

At least to my knowledge 🙂

Top Bottom