What's new

Maybe finds at an antique store? Help?

Hey gents, I went to a new antique store today and found some stuff, not sure what it is or if it is worth it, some of it kind of jumped out at me, but again not sure...Here are some pictures if someone could by chance help me out?

$finds-maybe.jpg

Any help is much appreciated as I would love to add to my razor collection and these seemed kind of interesting to me (especially the gold Gillette that is in the picture...There is a lot of greenish stuff on it but I think it is something that will come clean with some elbow grease). The straight is a J.A Torrey (at least that is what it was labeled) it felt REALLY light though?

PS, if you need bigger pictures I can upload them somewhere like imageshack.

Aside from the straight, the other three look like great buys. I couldn't tell you the first thing about straights, so I'm leaving my opinion out of it.

How much do they want for each?

The price was honestly the killer on the first 3...The small silver Gillette was 48 bucks (seems a bit high even though it looks like NOS). The gold Gillette (which I would love to find out what model it was) was 38 (again a little high considering the condition IMHO, but if it is a nice model and worth the money I would gladly clean it up), the final one an SE razor listed as a Valet Autostrop (gold) was 27, it was in decent shape but the box might not have been what it originally came in (kind of just looked like a metal box, though the razor seemed to fit nicely).

Either way this store strikes me as kind of expensive, but I don't know enough about the stuff yet to really qualify my answer.

the first one looks like an OLD type single ring, but the image is so small, its hard to tell for sure and the price tag covers up a lot. If it is an Old-type, check the handle for cracks at the top and bottom as they seem to be prone for crackage (hell, at 100 years old, who wouldn't be?)

The third one per your pricing above seems rather high, but if it is NOS... I'm not 100% sure. I've seen similar on ebay going for less, but I honestly haven't paid that much attention to their final listing prices.

The second and fourth, I have no input on :)

I'd like to see more pictures of the gold Gillette. I'm squinting at that micro-pic, and it almost looks like a gold Big Fellow razor stuck in a '28 Aristocrat case (with an extra gold blade bank thrown in for good measure). Even case-incorrect, I'd certainly buy it for $38 if I were right (and if the verdigris you describe were the extent of its problems).

THATS TOO MUCH!!you can find vintage razors of all stripe on bst for a whole lot less,antique stores think razors are rare,and some times they price through the roof,IMHO i wouldnt pay that much for any of them unless it was mabey a physco with a key os some thing rare like that,ymmv ps; if you really want a valet auto strop,i paid like $5 for my last one with a box

Last edited:
The small silver Gillette was 48 bucks (seems a bit high even though it looks like NOS).
That appears to be a short handled travel Tech. These always look new because no one ever actually uses them. They are available by the truckload for only a few dollars on a popular auction web site. The blade holder that comes with it might jack up the price a few dollars, but not into the range of this asking price, IMHO.

Last edited:
Valet is worth no more than $10.
ditto for short handle tech
you will never use either of them
if that is a single ring w/o cracks, the price is fair

with the straights you have to know what steel used, who made and when made
ken

Antique stores = need to get profit from somewhere. Unless its a ridiculously rare razor, most are fairly cheap. Then again if they are in great condition and you would love them in your collection, its personal preference and your own choice to purchase or not :).

$Gold-Gillette.jpg

There is a bigger picture of the Gillette.

And that is what I was afraid of for the rest. Thanks guys. I figured most of them were over-priced, and you are definitely right about the mini-Gillette, I would never use that heh, it was more of a collection thing if it were worth it (I would have been surprised if 50 was worth it).

Anyways let me know on the Gillette, the store is only open on Friday/Saturday so I can always run back tomorrow if it ends up being worth it :) .

well, the box looks like an old Aristocrat box, but the razor doesn't look like an early Aristocrat.

The razor could be an OLD something (single Ring, ball end, or the like), or as someone mentioned above, a NEW something as they all share a similar look. It's very hard to tell without seeing the entire razor handle and more of the head to be certain.

If we price everything by bits:
say $10 for each of the blade boxes = $20
say... $10 - $20 on the razor (maybe more??? No idea) if in good condition
and a min of $5 for the box
so say about $35 minimum in bits alone, so, maybe it's worth it? Of course, it all depends on if you want the razor or not :)

a big YMMV gets attached to the numbers above as I'm swerving way outside my realm :)

Last edited:
Are there any good pictures of the handles somewhere I could put on my phone and look at when I go back to the store? Almost certain that the bottom didn't look like that flared end, but I have already started wine Friday so I can't really remember ;) . I am almost certain that it wasn't the folding door type razor and it was a three piece?

Cool, thank you, I'll take the link on my phone and scroll through when I am there after work tomorrow. I'll make sure to look for cracks and such on the razor before I buy it but from your equation it at least looks worth it if for nothing more than I actually do like it (hopefully it cleans up nice). I'll probably buy it just to have in my collection and if it is something special then at least I have that going for it too heh. I would like an open comb razor like this to try out as well, not sure why I am trying to convince myself at this point ;) .

Thanks again, at least I'll have one cool classic in my collection for now.

If that gold razor has a flare knob it's worth $100 to $200 in good condition. The tag is in the way.

If it is a Single ring, check the teeth are straight and present. At that price it's fair with the case and blade holders.

If it's a ball end Old type, offer them $15 for the whole set. Not a penny more.

Regardless check the teeth aren't bent and that none are missing.

They did make Old Type Single ring Aristocrats in Gold plating. They have a flare knob. It could be one. It's impossible to tell from that picture.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=175237&d=1307416231&stc=1
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Image:1917flare.jpg

Yeah after I left the store I realized that...But the store wasn't really cool with my pictures, I asked to look at it and take one and they got all weird...Whatever I was like that's cool I will keep looking and then I snapped pictures in the cases ;) . Either way, fingers crossed for something at least worth the price. I have been wanting to add more to my collection ;) .

The stores probably don't want you taking pics and checking on eBay or a site like this one. That way you might find out that their prices are way too high! Many antique stores hate eBay. Back in the 80's and 90's they could charge whatever they wanted and buyers had no way of knowing if the price was fair or not.
I understand that the store owners have to make a profit, but they sure won't be able to do that by giving you a hard time when you want to see something out of the display case.

Second pic is the Valet - pass on that especially at the price.
Third pic is a Travel Tech - same deal, pass especially at that price.
Foruth pic is a straight that I can't help you with.

The only one of interest is the first pic.

Case is celluloid or 'French Ivory'. It is correct for the early Aristocrats or Single Rings. The blade banks are not the normal celluloid ones in this case but I'd need to check mine at home (I'm interstate for work) to know what ones are in my Single Ring set.

I doubt that the razor is a Big Fellow - I don't think that it would fit in this case.

As others have said the flare tip on the bottom would tell you if it was a gold plated Aristocrat - if so grab it fast! Even if it is a single ring in reasonable condition it would be worth $38

Report back with pics if you get it!

That appears to be a short handled travel Tech. These always look new because no one ever actually uses them. They are available by the truckload for only a few dollars on a popular auction web site. The blade holder that comes with it might jack up the price a few dollars, but not into the range of this asking price, IMHO.

+1

I got my Travel Tech for around $5.00 and it was in pristine condition.

Top Bottom