What's new

Barbasol Moisturizing Non-Aerosol Therapeutic Shave Cream

V

VR6ofpain

I think this stuff is rather underrated. I picked some up from drugstore.com when I was making an order because I have never seen it locally. I was rather disappointed when I tried to make some lather with it in a mug with a brush and a little water. It is not a lathering shaving cream, but more of a shaving "hand cream", similar to this "Cream Shave" product Clinique makes (a buddy of mine used it and I tried it once).

I honestly think the Barbasol works pretty good. The shave isn't straight forward as you have a thin coat of cream on your face that doesn't seem as wet as would be needed to shave. The reality is, it is extremely moisturizing and allows a very close shave with ZERO irritation. I went over my problems spots on my neck that recently got abused by a Feather loaded into my Milord. Even with the irritation present before I even shaved, I was able to get close to a BBS (with WTG, ATG, and XTG) with no pain at all. Not a single nick, no blood here.

I honestly would say I didn't enjoy the shave because applying it evenly took more time than a brush with lather, that and you have to have cream on your hand and filling up your razor (kind of a PITA to get the gunk out). So it wasn't as enjoyable, but as far as the shave itself it was virtually top notch. Super close, no pain, no irritation, no blood. Awesome!

This stuff is super cheap too. I am surprised they don't push stuff like this more. It blows away any other brushless "lathering" product I have tried. Canned foam/gel...please. Why Barbasol canned foam is everywhere and this stuff is nowhere is beyond me. Still I think I'll still search out a great soap/cream that I can lather up with a brush. I just enjoy it more. Still gonna keep this stuff around for the times I need "therapeutic shave" (when my neck is sore from a bad shave the previous day or morning).

Non-foaming creams are trendy and pushed by estheticians in the US, and in some parts of Europe, dominant, apparrently. I'll have to try one one of these days, just for kicks. My guess is a tube of non-foaming cream probably doesn't last all that long compared to the foaming variety.

Canned shaving cream is slowly on the wane, being replaced by gels and other products. My dad used to use some stuff, forgot the brand name (Edge?), it is sort of "self-foaming", sort of like those self-foaming soaps they sell now days.

V

VR6ofpain

Non-foaming creams are trendy and pushed by estheticians in the US, and in some parts of Europe, dominant, apparrently. I'll have to try one one of these days, just for kicks. My guess is a tube of non-foaming cream probably doesn't last all that long compared to the foaming variety.

Canned shaving cream is slowly on the wane, being replaced by gels and other products. My dad used to use some stuff, forgot the brand name (Edge?), it is sort of "self-foaming", sort of like those self-foaming soaps they sell now days.
Ya the impression I got was that the tube would disappear quite fast. The amount I used for one shave (three passes) seemed quite large for the 5oz that came in the tube.

I used to use Edge when I first started shaving. It is a shave "gel". Comes out as a gel that when exposed to air and movement seems to foam up. I thought it was all that was available for years. I ended up switching to good old Colgate foam in a can later, which I have to admit seemed to give me a better shave than the gels. The scents were much better too. I figure Colgate's canned foam is similar to Barbasol, in that it is a great canned foam...but in reality that is like saying it is a "great Yugo". Doesn't really matter, ya know? :crazy:

Top Bottom