What's new

Describe the Scent of Old-Time Yardley Soap

Growing up, I remember that one of the few luxuries my Dad enjoyed was Yardley soap in the wooden bowl. After he'd used it up, my little brother and I would get the bowls...

I'm looking for a soap that approximates the smell, which from the distance of 55+ years seems a bit like lavender to me. I'm sure I'll know it when I smell it.

Can anyone describe the scent, and does anyone know of a soap that might approximate it?

Thanks,
Jeff

All my vintage Yardley soaps have lost most of there scent, by lavender was what is was. AOS or DR Harris are very good soaps available in Lavender.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the privilege of cracking open and using an NOS bowl of Yardley that was sealed in the plastic ring. The scent was quite strong upon opening it and it was well stored where ever it was kept before I bought it. I've actually had the privilege of doing this a few times over the years. Believe it or not the scent always strikes me a lot as being very similar to the Mennen Speedstick original scent deodorant. Other than that there is nothing that smells like it that I have encountered. It's a very clean scent and it is a lavender scent (which is what the Mennen speedstick is but a very fougere-ish one at that).

A little off topic but about the Yardley shaving soap: someone recently sold some of the old Yardley aftershave on ebay. Accompanying the aftershave was the marketing insert for all their men's grooming products. Now mind you this looks like it was from the mid to late 1960's. We always rave about the performance of Yardley shave soap - those of us who have used it. Now in the marketing pamphlet it admits that the soap is the most comfortable shaving product of their line up. I find that odd in the age of transition to canned foam. It does make me wonder if they were trying to boost lagging sales of the shaving soap or if it was a hot seller nonetheless and they were just keeping the fire burning bright on it. Either way I think it may speak to the value of the product at the time. It is quite a shame that it was discontinued. I still have a cake of it and use it every now and then.

For modern day performance equivalents (though the scents smell nothing like the old Yardley even though they are Lavender) Jim has made some excellent suggestions.

Good luck in your quest.

Chris

Thank you!
Think I'll start with one of the new RazoRock artisan soaps- one of them is actually supposed to smell like lavender. Joe's stuff is so good I know I won't go too far wrong...
Jeff

I remember the smell of the Yardleys shaving soap my Grandfather used to use with his straight razor....as a boy I got to keep my glass marbles in the empty tubs....which always retained the smell of the soap....

In my minds eye..or nose...( Its over half a century ago after all ).... it had the sweet soft smell of Lavender with a hint of cedar........a creamy smell if that makes any sense......Wish it was still available I'd love to try it..

It was definitely a wonderful lavender. I used to use it regularly until it was no longer available. That and Old Spice SS were my only soaps for years. If I could, I would trade my existing soaps for those to be my regulars again.

Regards,

Doug

My experience is also much like GOLDCREST's, for it has been close to a half century ago since I last experienced that unique fragrance....

Also, his description/experience is much like mine, although I thought of it as a lavender that was not quite so medicinal as so many other lavender creams/soaps are. That, combined with the fragrance of licorice and sage/cedar.

After some experimentation and back-and-forth with Matthew at Queen Charlotte Soaps (QCS) regarding the Yardley fragrance I had him prepare a 5 oz. tub of the cream (actually, a "croap").

It is a bespoke cream that I named "Licorice and Sage". I have been very satisfied with both the fragrance and the shaving qualities.

If anyone is interested, you might contact him to inquire if a sample might be obtained. QCS crafts some excellent soaps and creams, using top-notch ingredients. It a mother/son artisan operation has has great prices.

I remember the smell of the Yardleys shaving soap my Grandfather used to use with his straight razor....as a boy I got to keep my glass marbles in the empty tubs....which always retained the smell of the soap....

In my minds eye..or nose...( Its over half a century ago after all ).... it had the sweet soft smell of Lavender with a hint of cedar........a creamy smell if that makes any sense......Wish it was still available I'd love to try it..

Last edited:
Top Bottom