What's new

When to replace a brush

Hey guys,

How long do brushes last in general, and how can you tell when a brush is starting to go bad?

Thanks

I have used the same Van Der Hagen Boar bristle brush for the last 10 years or so of daily shaving. I don't plan to replace it any time soon.

A good brush should last a several years if not decades.

Usually the best time to replace them is when they dot not work well and or when they break. As for when, it is hard to tell because it depends on many factors but typically, good brushes can last decades.

Al raz.

A good brush should last a several years if not decades.

I disagree - it depends you see.

If you are among the impoverished, that is to say you only have one brush THEN:

It will be necessary to explain to the significant other that a brush has a VERY short life if solo. That life is also very LONESOME for the brush. The only prescription for said malady is the immediate acquisition of brushes, many brushes.

I'd replace it when the bristles start falling out which takes a long time unless you are doing something crazy. I soak my brushes in warm water with a little shampoo once in a while to get rid of the soap scum.

In theory a brush should last for decades if you take care of it. Clean it with some shampoo and do the old vinegar soak on occasion.

I disagree - it depends you see.

If you are among the impoverished, that is to say you only have one brush THEN:

It will be necessary to explain to the significant other that a brush has a VERY short life if solo. That life is also very LONESOME for the brush. The only prescription for said malady is the immediate acquisition of brushes, many brushes.

That is true. I do have a second brush that I use as a travel brush...

Top Bottom