What's new

Favorite blades for your Slant?

I'm curious what blades other Slant users prefer.
My Slant is my preferred razor but I've found blades that work fine in my other razors don't necessarily work so well in my Slant. And it's not only about sharpness because Feathers are very sharp and they are my favorite for any of my razors. Also, people go on about how good a blade is and I try it in my Slant and it's either so-so or it's awful. Likewise people trash other blades and I find I like them.
So, if you routinely shave with a Merkur Slant, tell us your favorite and least favorite blades.
Favorite:
1. Feather
2. Dorco ST301 Platinum Extra (not the ST300 Platinum)
3. Probably Derby but I read there may have been some recent problems
4. While both these give me a decent shave, I can't really tell any difference between Crystals and Generic Platinum Chrome (I think they're Personnas)
Blades the didn't live up to their hype: Astra, Treet Dura Sharp, Wilkinson

Personna Reds are my new favorite in the Slant. I found them a little too "not sharp" for my Fat Boy and Slim, and was doing too much follow up and buffing to get smooth, but in the 39C, it's perfection. In the 39C, the Meds, Labs, and Feathers are just a little too sharp/not quite smooth enough for me to shave with everyday - I get just a hint of irritation and can't quite get a daily shave in without making it incrementally worse, but with the Reds, wow, nirvana. Tomorrow will be my 6th shave day in a row, unheard of until I tried this combo, and I'm loving it!

I am a sledgehammer user and I like the voskhod as my nr one and the personna medical as two and the feathers third....

I should also mention, Feathers are by far my number one choice. There's a lot of distance between #1 and #2.

I guess ill sound pretty weird, but I have to say the wal-mart blades:confused1. Other than the the astra sps work, and everything else ripped my face apart (with my tech or flaretip astras or feathers are my favorite, with crystals working pretty well). But with the wal marts, somehow its magical. I guess that's a good thing lol

My favorite blades for my POMCO slant are Treet Classic DuraSharp carbon. Smooth!! Don't feel any tug 2.5 pass face and head for BBS or pretty darn close.

I love the POMCO so much I have decided to buy a new Merkur for travel. If it gets lost/broken/confiscated I won't be too upset, and maybe intermittent use will delay the finish problems.

Feather, without a doubt. I am waiting on some Voskhod blades that I will try, but pending that trial, Feathers are my first and only choice in a slant.

These are a few blades that have worked for me in my slant:

-Crystal's
-Gillette Super Thin's
-Personna Med/Lab
-Rapira Sweedish Super Steel

And my current and all time favorite so far (drum roll please) Super Iridium!

Of course it had to be the blades that aren't made anymore :sad:

Top Bottom