What's new

Help Me Pick A Knot!

I'm attempting to do my first restore and would like some advice/suggestions on which knot I should purchase from TGN.

The opening of the handle measures between 21-22mm so I'm looking at 20mm knots. The current depth of the opening is 10mm. I already have a brush in Finest so I'd like to try a Super or Silvertip. I am interested in the Super Fan (20mm x 64mm) and the Silvertip Grade A (20mm x 67mm).

I see myself using this restore to lather creams, so I'm interested in something really soft. However, I am concerned that if I do not increase the current depth, either of these knots will be too floppy.

So I have two questions:

1. Which knot?
2. Should I increase the depth of the opening?

Thanks.

Order your knot first, then dry fit to see if you need to increase the depth of the handle. I think you will need to increase it to 15mm, or a little more.

I have the TGN super, silver tip A and finest, and I prefer the super and silver tip A by far over the finest XH.

It's not a popular opinion here, I think, but the silver tips are more dense and are softer to use.

I have been looking at the super and the A. Can you tell us what you feel are the differences between the two?

They're more alike than different.

The tips are really soft, but the Silvertip A feels a little less dense.

The Super silvertip is still my favorite knot.

I hope that's helpful.

See my wiki entry from my Sig for assorted ramblings on knots. Personally I'd say you'll need to take the knot lower and deepen your knot hole but it's a bit hard to saynow hard that will be without seeing the handle. Order a knot and then set it with silicon and give it a go. From there you can see what needs to be done.

Both silver tip A and super have nice soft tips and don't forget loft will effect density.

I have been looking at the super and the A. Can you tell us what you feel are the differences between the two?

The difference is not noticeable to me.
I had both and kept the Grade A, but only because I liked it's handle better. In a blind test, I wouldn't have known the difference.

They're more alike than different.

The tips are really soft, but the Silvertip A feels a little less dense.

The Super silvertip is still my favorite knot.

I hope that's helpful.

+1
Super Silvertip is softer. But you'd need to set it deep or it will be floppy. Unless you like floppy.

Thanks guys. I ordered the Silvertip Grade A after contacting TGN for some advice.

I picked up some grit and epoxy. Just waiting for the knot to arrive. I'll post pictures of the whole process when I'm done!

Here's some pictures of the handle with the old knot removed (thanks Donmuerto!):

Attachments

• $IMG-20110717-00010.jpg
    $IMG-20110717-00010.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 49
  • $IMG-20110717-00011.jpg
    $IMG-20110717-00011.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom