What's new

After use care

How do you take care of your safety razor after you've used it? Do you simply rise and remove blade?

Rinse it, leave the blade in, and place it in a rack to await the next use. The only exception to this routine for me is when I use a carbon steel blade in an DE. If it's carbon steel. I remove the blade and dry it off before reloading it for the next use. I don't do this with the Treet DE blades as they are so cheap that I usually toss them after a single shave.

I rinse everything off, palm strop the blade, dry off the razor thoughly and even use cotton swabs to make sure it's dry. Shake off the blade to make sure that it's as dry as can be without wiping it off and replace the blade for the next time. When I change blades I give the razor a soak in Scrubbing Bubbles and toothbrush and rinse off in really hot water. Then I let it dry before putting it away for the next razor in the rotation. Just so OD of me I'm sure.

I remove the blade and rinse the underside to remove the accumulated lather, rinse the razor and shake out, replace the blade and put in the rack with the doors open. At blade change, I wipe the entire razor down with a Kleenex to remove soap scum. If things get cruddy, I go to the toothbrush/paste for a quick polish.

Rinse, towle dry (very carfully) back on the stand for tomorrow. When I chnage the blade I give it a good clean....tooth brush and soap.

Quick rinse under the tap and throw wet into the empty shaving mug for tomorrow, blade still in if it still has life in it. Can't understand the lengths some of you go to!

Gareth

Quick rinse under the tap and throw wet into the empty shaving mug for tomorrow, blade still in if it still has life in it. Can't understand the lengths some of you go to!
+1

I just rinse mine under hot water, and blow off the excess. If it still has a blade in it, I put it Head-Down in one glass tumbler. If I take the blade out, it goes Heads-Up in another.

I do a deep-down cleaning (Simple Green / scrub with toothbrush / Barbicide) about a once a year, hitting all my razors at once.

Hot water, shake dry, and put in razor/brush stand. When I change blades, I'll wipe off soap scum with a towel or cloth. Razors out of rotation are stored without a blade.

I just rinse it off and put it away resting on the side. I never touch it other than the water rinse. At blade change I give it a good wipe. I'm like galopeda, I don't understand all the cleaning going on after a shave.

I rinse in hot water, shake dry, and use microfiber cloth to dry it thoroughly. The blade is dipped in isopropyl alcohol, stropped if SE, and then put back in razor. I thoroughly clean my razors twice a year.

what i do is take the blade out Rinse it with hot water dry it off with my towel put the blade back in and your set for the next shave

Last edited:
I keep mine simple. Rinse, shake, put back in holder. No problems at all.

When I do the rinse I loosen the head a turn or so to give the blade some play, then the rinse, just to rinse out any built up lather or gunk.

Rinse and put in my cabinet (it has good circulation so stuff dries off). If I am changing the blade then I will clean the razor. I will take it apart and hit it with some soap and a toothbrush really fast. Basically scrub it until any kind of soap scum is off it. I go a little extra on the small parts (I have the Futur so kind where the blade sits there are a lot of little nooks and crannies). I have been trying a lot of different blades though so I don't do this every change (hardly needs to be cleaned that well after every use). When I settle in and use a blade for 4 or so shaves is when I will do it at every blade change.

I spray my razor with blade still in with soap scum remover and rinse in HOT water then place in caddy awaiting tomorrow morning. Every 4 days it gets a new blade.

I usually shave before I shower,so when I'm done I rinse it then stand it on end until I'm done shaving and then putit away.

Top Bottom