What's new

Running Problems Shoes/Pain

For the last few months every time I run over two miles (pavement) my fibula(r) head ( the bone below the knee on the outside that ends down the ankle) begins to hurt.

I have used different shoes (Asics and New Balance). The Asics hurt the right leg (fibula head) and the New Balance hurt the left leg (fibula head) while running the same route.

The pain goes away after a week.

1. Has anyone experienced this or know a solution?

2. Anyone use Nike Free Run or Reebok Real Flex running shoes? Any feedback will be appreciated.

That's a sign that you're running with poor technique - whether due to bad body mechanics or wearing the wrong shoe.
Barefoots/Nike Frees/other 'minimal' shoes may help, but they really only nudge you in the right direction. You need to address any flaws in your body alignment/stride/footstrike.

Make sure the shoe properly fits. Every brands makes a multitude of fits, ie neutral, stabiltiy, motion control, etc. That fit is infinitely more important that brand.

Additionally, are you overweight? When I started running I weighted 200 pounds, that's a lot more force on my 5'9" frame.

You don't say how often you run and what type of shape you are in. Shin splints are typical of people that are new to running or that increase mileage too quickly (10% per week). You also want to go to a running store to get shoes so that you have a properly fitted shoe for your running style, foot form, where you run, etc... You may also want to look at common "runners" stretches and icing techniques to help (not your static gym stretches).

I am in good shape. I'm about 5'9" and weigh 160. I've been working out at least 5 times a week for over two years. I also have to mention that I don't have flat or extra wide feet and I haven't been running a lot because of the pain. My last run was 4 miles. Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You may need some arch support. That is, the problem is in your feet, and the result is in your knees. I used to have knee problems running, and saw several doctors who didn't do anything for me, until I saw a physiotherapist who took one look at me (in shorts) and said I needed arch support ... bingo, problem fixed.

That may or may not be you ... go get checked.

I weighted 200 pounds, that's a lot more force on my 5'9" frame.

I'm about 5'9" and weigh 160.

:wink2:

You may need some arch support. That is, the problem is in your feet, and the result is in your knees. I used to have knee problems running, and saw several doctors who didn't do anything for me, until I saw a physiotherapist who took one look at me (in shorts) and said I needed arch support ... bingo, problem fixed.

That may or may not be you ... go get checked.

:wink2:

I think I solved the problem. I bought barefoot style shoes, the Merrell Trailgloves. After a couple of runs, I don't have any knee pain, just sore calves.

I'm actually 5'9.75" but who's counting. :w00t:

Last edited:
I was going to suggest heading over to a specialty running store (should have lots of those in LA) and have them help you figure out whether you overpronate, supinate, or have a neutral footstrike, as Tim alluded to. Lots of shoes are designed for overpronators and can lead to alignment problems if you have a neutral footstrike, or vice versa.

Hope the "barefoot" style shoes continue to work out for you.

Top Bottom