What's new

Rye Whiskey

I'm curious as to how 4/5 translates to a fifth. 4/5 = four fifths? A fifth is supposed to a fifth of a gallon, IIRC. I know it's the 750ml bottle. Anyone know the origin of the 4/5 term?

I believe the 4/5 refers to 4/5 of a QUART, which is 25.6 oz. Multiply that amount by 5, and you get 128 oz, AKA a gallon. Hence, 4/5 of a quart = a fifth of a gallon.

Where I am I can only find Jim Beam Rye.

Is it worth buying a 4/5 for $18?

Or perhaps someone knows where, in AL that they carry other Rye Whiskies.

I liked the Beam Rye, especially for the $18 price, but I've seen the Bulleit Rye at the state stores here in Birmingham, too. If I had to pick one over the other, it would be the Bulleit, but I've found that I like bourbons better than ryes, though Beam and Bulleit are the extent of my experience.

For the money, I think the Jim Beam Black bourbon is lots more than $4-5 better than the rye.

I liked the Beam Rye, especially for the $18 price, but I've seen the Bulleit Rye at the state stores here in Birmingham, too. .....

Which State stores in the 'Ham did you see Bulleit Rye at? I have checked Lakeview and West Valley Store.
Bulleit Bourbon I have found but with the Rye-No luck.

The 4/5 measurement on bottles was replaced by the 750ML Jan 1, 1980. There is an ATF circular from July '79 that can be accessed here.
http://www.ttb.gov/industry_circulars/archives/1979/79-07.html

Jim Beam rye is An excellent value. It is a must have for any rye lover. Rye is my favorite, and I always have a bottos stocked in my bar. All other mentioned are great options too.

Which State stores in the 'Ham did you see Bulleit Rye at? I have checked Lakeview and West Valley Store.
Bulleit Bourbon I have found but with the Rye-No luck.

Well, poop, now you're making me wonder if I really saw the bottle or not...went to the store in Inverness that's in the strip mall next to Momma Goldberg's/Full Moon BBQ to pick up pints (or whatever the small bottle is these days...) of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve to try. There was an endcap display just for Bulleit, and I swear it had both the bourbon and the rye on it. I picked up the Beam Rye at the ABC store behind Thai Emerald just south of Hwy119/280 (I'd been to the Y, so I deserved a treat...), but since I already had the Bulleit Rye, I didn't look for it.

Top Bottom