What's new

Easy question about DE Blade installation

Hi. well i know this is probably an easy question but i am not sure what is right. when i change a blade on my DE razor. do i completely tighten the stem to the top part? i noticed that if i left it just under hand tight that it changed the angle of the blade and also changed up my shave. thank you

Yes, it should be as tight as you can get it with your fingers, but don't put any real force into it. If you over-tighten, you risk snapping the head off.

The one exception to this is Gillette TTO razors ... you will encounter some resistance when the butterfly doors close completely, then twist it a little harder (about a quarter-turn) to lock down the blade.

Welcome to B&B, and Happy Shaving!

Welcome to B&B! dpm802 has summed it up quite nicely, I have nothing more to add except maybe that shaving with the blade not properly in place is not recommended.

My two razors, the Merkur HD and EJ 89L (both new), just stop as soon as the cutting heads are fully engaged (as soon as I feel contact, it's done). I guess some slop will develop over time and with usage in mine. Good to know that you just crank it all the way for future reference.

Then again, maybe you'll learn through experimentation or accident that there's a point of tension at which you'll hit a sweet spot for your shave.

Welcome to B&B! dpm802 has summed it up quite nicely, I have nothing more to add except maybe that shaving with the blade not properly in place is not recommended.
Yeah, I guess any movement of the blade would be a really bad thing. Couldn't there be a point, though, at which the cutting head has the blade securely but doesn't have it bent down to its full arc, which might produce a slightly better result for a particular user?

Probably not enough of one to risk peeling part of your face off. Not shaving related, but trust me stitches in your face suck.

Yes, it should be as tight as you can get it with your fingers, but don't put any real force into it. If you over-tighten, you risk snapping the head off.

The one exception to this is Gillette TTO razors ... you will encounter some resistance when the butterfly doors close completely, then twist it a little harder (about a quarter-turn) to lock down the blade.

+1

My two razors, the Merkur HD and EJ 89L (both new), just stop as soon as the cutting heads are fully engaged (as soon as I feel contact, it's done). I guess some slop will develop over time and with usage in mine. Good to know that you just crank it all the way for future reference.

Then again, maybe you'll learn through experimentation or accident that there's a point of tension at which you'll hit a sweet spot for your shave.

Yeah, I guess any movement of the blade would be a really bad thing. Couldn't there be a point, though, at which the cutting head has the blade securely but doesn't have it bent down to its full arc, which might produce a slightly better result for a particular user?

BlueJay, I think you like playing with fire, or running with scissors. :lol:It could be a little too exciting trying to find the right amount of torque to hold the blade. Just think ... each razor and each blade may be a bit different. :scared: Yikes! Too many possibilities.

BlueJay, I think you like playing with fire, or running with scissors. :lol:It could be a little too exciting trying to find the right amount of torque to hold the blade. Just think ... each razor and each blade may be a bit different. :scared: Yikes! Too many possibilities.

cbogg said:
Probably not enough of one to risk peeling part of your face off. Not shaving related, but trust me stitches in your face suck.
I was just throwing that out there to see if anyone would come along and say they do it. :001_unsur

I certainly wouldn't try it on my own... intentionally, anyway.

You shouldn't have to 'crank it', and there should never be any 'slop' in your razor.
Finger tight should do it (except for adjustables which do need that extra quarter turn), and a good razor will maintain it's tolerances for decades.

Top Bottom