What's new

Hello B&B...Advice for a rookie?

I am new to DE shaving and have been lurking for a couple weeks trying to pick up the basics (prep, blade angle, WTG, XTG,ATG, etc) In this short time I have already managed to develop a case of AD! So hello everyone and please help…

I have very thick hair and a difficult growth pattern on my neck. I have primarily used electric razors until now because I would have to throw out cartridge razors after the second use or I would get irradiation. So, I decided try old school rather then continue hating my routine each morning.

Monday was the beginning of my 3rd week with a DE so I have 11 shaves in. My kit is a Parker Safety, EJ brush, pre-shave oil and several soap/creams/blades. Shaves have been overall decent so far however I do get several bleeding spots each day. The shave itself is comfortable despite these spots seeping blood. The blood seems to come from a single pore rather then a cut. I guess these are weepers? There is no sting or pain until I used styptic or alum to stop the seeping…

Anyone experience this starting out? Advise?

Welcome!

Weepers are usually a pressure and/or blade angle issue. They are also more likely to occur the more passes you add. I would say stick with a two-pass WTG/XTG while your technique is developing and add a third pass once you are consistently getting comfortable shaves with no weepers or irritation.

Use a light touch and aim for beard reduction, not elimination, with each pass.

Just getting back into it myself, and I focus on spending more time on the kyle face prep, going slow, low pressure, and maxing it at 3 lathers and 2 passes -- WTG/XTG. Throat area still not optimal, but I'm not rushing it.

You might just be slicing the top off a pimple or some similar skin irritation. Will just have to use an extra light touch near that area for a week or more, giving it time to heal up without worrying about getting a close shave.

Great suggestions above! I especially like the two pass suggestion WTG XTG to learn good technic. It is best to stick with one cream or soap while you rotate through the blades. The blade rotation will teach you a lot about angle and pressure if you pay very close attention. This is really the fun part of shaving, learning the small adjustments and details that give results right on our face. When you do add a third pass, make it another XTG pass in the opposite direction.

When it comes to blade pressure, less is more - don't overdo it.
Also make sure you are stocked up on the alum block (i.e. RazoRock).

Above all, enjoy!

and welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

Welcome. I would suggest map your beard growth, give it 2 days with no shaving. I know thats a sin but it will be forgiven. I would also not get too worried about making 3 or 4 passes at first. Concentrate on WTG, blade angle and pressure. Lose all the techniques you had with a cartridge razor.

PHP:
You might just be slicing the top off a pimple or some similar skin irritation. Will just have to use an extra light touch near that area for a week or more, giving it time to heal up without worrying about getting a close shave.

+1. Remember any bump with an electric isn't an issue, cart will probably leave it alone, single blade with different angle, it's probably coming off! So watch out and be careful! If you find that you have some bumps, try a little witch hazel prior to shaving, it can reduce the inflammation to maybe reduce the chance of lopping it clean off.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I focused on the advice this morning an had better results. Also used alum for the first time... burned like craaaazy!! Is razorock different from typical alum? I just have some generic chunk from a barber supply.

Thayers witch hazel is on order, delayed shipping from amazon.. grrr. I will update couple weeks hopefully with better results.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I focused on the advice this morning an had better results. Also used alum for the first time... burned like craaaazy!! Is razorock different from typical alum? I just have some generic chunk from a barber supply.

Thayers witch hazel is on order, delayed shipping from amazon.. grrr. I will update couple weeks hopefully with better results.

Glad you got back to us! Yeah, alum shows you where the razor burn is, and the nicks, and the cuts. Not as bad as salt, but still! I got witch hazel from the local drug store. Mine has some alcohol content, but works for me.

I didnt like Thayers witch hazel. Its high quality but it felt very sticky on my face. That was probably from the Aloe Vera in it.
I would recommend the generic store brand witch hazel from your local grocery or drug store.

I think many of my "weepers" are in areas where I may not have prepped all that well like the top of check, under the nose etc.

...I would have to throw out cartridge razors after the second use or I would get irradiation...

proxy.php

Don't worry about the weepers, you will eventually understand how your face works with different razors and blades and will come to a point where you can get great shaves every day. With a blade as sharp as DE's, and without anything much to make them forgiving, they do produce quick painless cuts that will make you bleed for a while. Concentrating on blade angle, pressure and skin tensioning should help, but its just a matter of practice makes perfect in the end.

Top Bottom