What's new

When do you wear a suit?

3 days/wk for work, other days sport coat and slacks. Depending on the suit you can wear one for everything but physical work, sports and their overlaps (eg hiking, camping, fishing, etc etc.)-a more casual suit such as a tweed for the colder times, corduroy anytime, cotton or linen of various types for warmer climes, with or without a tie, appropriate casual shoes (loafer, boots, etc), with or without a sweater, vest etc. can adjust its look. This of course will depend on where you live-easier in a city, college town etc and your job,profession-law, medicine, teaching, sales, business rather than farmer, mechanic, etc. I think it is a great look and certainly marks the wearer in contradiction to the usually more casual (or even slovenly ) look mostly seen today. Give it a try-I'd go with a nice tan corduroy suit because it is so easy to dress up or down and the jacket easily passes as a sport coat if needed.

When I was still single (about four years ago) I would make my grocery/errand day a day to dress up in a suit (about once a month) sometimes a tux shirt with shirt studs and french cuffs, black wool suit with black vest, and western boots; other times a dress shirt with a tie, vest ,suit pants, and western boots. I always got many compliments on my manor of dress. Now that I am married with kids I tend to wear the suit to special occasions, some meetings, and church. I also wear a suit if I am working as a portrait or wedding photographer (my side business from my normal daily grind).

Dave

Gentleman, I work in an industry where the dress code is about what PPE (personal protective equipment) to wear, rather than what clothes you wear. Definitely not a suit or dress clothes. Outside of work I enjoy wearing nice clothes and I do own two suits, but I do not often find occasion to wear a full suit. Weddings and funerals mostly.

I am curious. Outside of work and work related activities/events, how often do you find occasion to wear a full suit, and to what type of events do you wear it to?

Thank you.

Only wear a suit (or jacket and tie for that matter) when someone has a gun to my head. My idea of Hell is to wear a necktie or long-sleeves-feels like I have a straight-jacket on at the same time I have an anchor around my neck.

Beerman

Sadly the climate here precludes regular wearing of a suit, always sweaty, stinking hot and humid. Last time I wore a suit to the office here was for a formal photoshoot for an article in the industry association's magazine about this time last year. The last time I wore a suit at all was May 24 when we were on holiday in London and we went to the Savoy Grill for dinner.

It all depends on the context. As a pastor I noted a few wear suits to church. As the pastor of a small country church I dress better than my congregation most Sundays and I show up in a dress shirt, tie, slacks and dress shoes.

Rick

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sadly the climate here precludes regular wearing of a suit, always sweaty, stinking hot and humid. Last time I wore a suit to the office here was for a formal photoshoot for an article in the industry association's magazine about this time last year. The last time I wore a suit at all was May 24 when we were on holiday in London and we went to the Savoy Grill for dinner.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun ... and the mad dogs are the ones not wearing suits. :crying:

If you want/need a suit in Singapore, look to bespoke, and get it made as light-wearing as possible. That means unlined, with a breathable fabric: linen, or a light fresco (lightweight & loose-woven wool) IMHO. Fortunately, Singapore should have some decent tailors who can do this for you.

Well, I wear a suit 5 days a week to work. Outside of work, I generally try to wear them as infrequently as possible. I'll wear them out to a nice date with my wife, be it to a restaurant, the ballet, or whatever. Also, weddings and funerals as other have mentioned. Other than those occasions outside of work, I don't wear a suit. Church is strictly khakis or similar and a buttondown.

I do get all my shirts and trousers made here, and my only suit was also made here. It is quite lightweight, but I still sweat like a Scouser in Dixon's with it on here. Thing is, I don't really need to wear one, office dress codes here tend to be somewhat casual to say the least.

You've hit on one of the sartorial challenges for the modern man - in our iconoclast society where formality is anathema, when can one wear a suit without being pretentious or seen as a poseur?

My rule of thumb is when I want to celebrate the event - even if it's outside of the traditional funeral, job interview, etc., and there is not a prescribed dress.

A suit is a powerful statement, rock it.

Full suit probably only Sundays for Church. Suit jackets virtually everyday either formal or informal......I love them, dress them down with jeans and a t-shirt or for a more smarter look trousers & shirt(I believe you American's call them Sport Jackets).

Is it just me or is there something incredibly manly about a lounge coat/jacket?

My company is 100% business casual and I wear a choir robe at church. My "suit" is actually a tuxedo. I have two; a fat one, and a not-quite-so-fat one.
I really should buy a suit in case I really need one.

I out grew the last suit I had and I am 38 years old now so should tell you it's been a while since I have worn a suit. I am a construction worker so my appearance is not top priority, I assure you the next I have to wear one it will be to soon.

Weddings, Funerals, every Sunday for religious services, dinner at a nice restaurant, social events when the dress is not black or white tie, the theatre.

Full suit probably only Sundays for Church. Suit jackets virtually everyday either formal or informal......I love them, dress them down with jeans and a t-shirt or for a more smarter look trousers & shirt(I believe you American's call them Sport Jackets).

Is it just me or is there something incredibly manly about a lounge coat/jacket?
This is how to dress.

Wedding, Funerals, Baptisms. I would wear one to a Bat Mitzvah, if I were ever invited to one. We do not have many Jewish people is south Louisiana. The tux comes out for the occasional Mardi Gras Ball. I have worked in IT for the last 17 years. Nobody cares what I look like as long as I get their phone and PC working. The turning 40 crisis occurred 5 years ago. For the first time in my life my hair was below my ears. Chopped it and donated it. I was a much snappier dresser in my younger years.

Top Bottom