What's new

Home Brewing Question

Who else here makes beer and wine? I have a question... I haven't made a batch in about a year and I can't remember if I should scrape the foamy stuff from the grain out of the pot before putting the wort into the fermenter.... anybody know??

I usually scrape out and add to the fermenter do but I also do a secondary and even third fermentation after about 3 to 4 days each to filter EVERYTHING out. I don't think it would hurt either way though.

I will always do at least a secondary.. I agree completely with that.. :biggrin:

I just can't remember if that is good stuff or bad stuff to put in the fermenter.... :confused1

It's cooling down now... man the kitchen smells good, I adore the smell of malt~

If you're using a raking cane, anything floating on the surface of the wort probably won't make it into the fermenter. My kettle has a spigot which is connected to a wort chiller that feeds into the carboy.

After yeast flocculation, I carefully rake into a secondary fermenter. I add a teaspoon of Irish moss and let it ferment another 10 to 14 days (if it's an ale) and then peform a tertiary fermentation in another carboy.

If I'm making a lager, I just leave the carboy in the lager fridge for at least six weeks and rake from that. I don't see a point to secondary fermenters with a lager strain of yeast. Just my opinion.

For wine, I rake to a secondary fermenter and from there to the bottles.

alright... 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout is now in the fermenter.... :biggrin:

Art, you still owe me a bottle of blueberry wine... :001_wub:

alright... 5 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout is now in the fermenter.... :biggrin:

Art, you still owe me a bottle of blueberry wine... :001_wub:

I still have to make it......I have a few bottles of pumpkin beer from last year, I would be happy to send some of those...

I know you're not talking to me, but I had great success with making an apricot weizen.

I made it for a girl I was dating that didn't like beer.

Why wouldn't I be talking to you... :ladysman:

I have done apricot, blueberry, lime and apple in IPA with honey and the apricot and lime will definately get made again... I have never made a Weiss beer tho.... I never liked beer either til I started making my own... then I just discovered it was canned American stuff I didn't like.... ;-)

Mama Sue:
What yeast are you using for the Imperial Stout? Just curious. The last one I did was with a fairly attenuating champagne yeast. The last bottle of that run was even yummier four years later. Definitely a rather expensive stout, based on how much malts were in it. IIRC the initial gravity on that beast was over 1180. You've got me jonesin' for another batch now. Well, at least after it cools down in a month or so. :001_rolle

Wayne

Imperial stout, man that sounds great! :drool:

Even though you've started the fermentation...I'd say probably not to scrape. I usually whirlpool the wort, chill it then rack it to the primary and avoid getting as much trub as possible.

The only flavored type of beer I've done is the Mint Summer Blonde. Threw about 1 oz of mint leaves into the beginning of the boil. Its minty in the green/leafy sense, not peppermint.

Top Bottom