What's new

Camping and shaving

I'm just back from a couple of weeks' worth of camping around northern British Columbia, south western Yukon, and SE Alaska. One night was spent in a motel, the others were all spent in my tent. I skipped one shave on the trip simply because the rain and cold were just a bit much for me to face.:001_wub:

Unlike many, I'm normally an evening shaver, so that didn't change. I did, though, switch from before dinner shaving to after dinner shaving. After we ate dinner and washed dishes, I'd fill a quart pot with our final rinse water and get it going on the Coleman stove. While it was heating I'd sort through my dopp kit and fish out my Slim, my Everready 500, and a puck of (yes, dear folks) Williams. I'd put the Williams in one coffee mug and add hot water, then fill a second mug with hot water. Mostly it was cold, breezy, and the air was crowded with mosquitoes, so I wouldn't take off my jacket and shirt. I'd just tuck a paper towel into the neck of my shirt like a bib and I was ready.

I dumped the excess water off my puck of Williams, swirled the brush around and lathered up. I used my Slim, which is my normal travel razor, on 3; my normal setting. I'd make the first pass WTG, then a second lather and a second pass that is sorta XTG and ATG all at the same time. The result was a Socially Acceptable Shave that bordered on a Damn Fine Shave, but didn't approach Baby Butt Smooth.

I used the tag end of the water in the pot to rinse everything down when I was done, and that's all there was to it. FWIW, my blade was KMart brand (likely a Dorco, because it says made in Korea). Not my normal blade, but it was what I had left in my dopp kit from a previous trip, and I do prefer blades in dispensers rather than in wee cardboard boxes when I travel.

I admire your dedication to shaving. I've spent three weeks at a time in remote locations and never bothered to shave...it was too much hassle.

Good Stuff! When I'm travelling rough I'll probably only shave twice a week (if that), but it does feel so good using basic kit in a new setting

Thats cool. I like your story. Thanks for sharing! I cant wait to try some some travel/outdoor shaving. Some day...

I am looking forwards to hopefully getting some camping in this year, I'd love it on a motorbike, but I don't think funds will allow, so by car.

I am looking forwards to shaving via campsite, and will probably use a little gas burner or alcohol burner or even a black solar hot water bag (warm camp shower) as a source of warm water.

Thanks for your post. I was just thinking about how to shave when camping...cold water? or heat some up... Sounds like you have found a method that works well! I am wondering if one could get by without heating water if you used a soap that does better with warm water (ie MWF)... Looking forward to finding out!

I enjoy shaving when I'm camping if it's cold outside. It's kind of a lark but it feels really good to have a nice warm shave when the temperature is 40 degrees.
I usually don't like camping in weather much above a daytime temperature of 70.

a puck of (yes, dear folks) Williams.

Holy cow, you WERE roughing it! Hahaha

The last "camping" trip I was on was for a country music festival and was spent in my 24' toy hauler! Hopefully I can get out this summer and into the woods like I used to, canvas bedrolls and a campfire and nothing else. If all else fails, I know there is always elk camp this fall!

It's hit and miss when I'm camping. Often I will just use my Feather AC/DX with a ProGuard blade and tepid to cold water.

Top Bottom