What's new

Darwin DE razor users, your input please.

Hi all.

I've a Darwin DE in which is very hard to get a blade on and even harder to remove the blade.

I came across the below Darwin DE - not mine, one I've found for sale - and noticed the blade pins are halved, or look cut in half or a little more than half. The blade pins on the one I do own, are not like this and are fully rounded pins.

My question is, which is it supposed to be? How is yours? Did mine get through manufacture without being finished?

It doesn't affect the shave, I just wish loading and unloading the blade on mine wasn't such a chore. I just know I'm going to slice my finger off one of these days. It's almost as if I have to stretch the blade to get it to go down on both pins. And when I finally do get it onto both pins, it's warped a bit until I tighten it down and that straightens it out. If mine had half pins like the one in the photo below, I think the blade would fit perfectly.

So yes, how is yours? Full rounded pins or half pins?

Attachments

• $DARWINCONES.jpg
    $DARWINCONES.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 291

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I have two Darwin Deluxes and a Darwin Standard. They all have round blade pins, though the Standard's blade pins are in the cap not on the guard. The blades fit more snuggle in the Deluxes. I have found that there is a difference in how tight the blades fit from one brand of blade to another. I actually like the Deluxes more then the Standard because of the snug fit. I have to make sure the blades are lined up in the Standard because they seat a little too loosely.

Darwin Deluxe
View attachment $Darwin Deluxe Pieces.jpg

Darwin Standard
View attachment $Darwin Standard Pieces.jpg

I have two Darwin Deluxes and a Darwin Standard. They all have round blade pins, though the Standard's blade pins are in the cap not on the guard. The blades fit more snuggle in the Deluxes. I have found that there is a difference in how tight the blades fit from one brand of blade to another. I actually like the Deluxes more then the Standard because of the snug fit. I have to make sure the blades are lined up in the Standard because they seat a little too loosely.

Darwin Deluxe
View attachment 181212

Darwin Standard
View attachment 181214

Thank you. That pretty much confirms mine is supposed to be like it is then. Reckon the one I found for sale, someone didn't like the tight blade fit and filed off part of the pins?

Intrigued

Thank you. That pretty much confirms mine is supposed to be like it is then. Reckon the one I found for sale, someone didn't like the tight blade fit and filed off part of the pins?

That is what I was thinking.

If you haven't already, try some different brands of blades to see if you can find one that gives you a good shave and doesn't fight with you so much to get in and out of the razor. The Darwin is great razor, it's worth the hunt.

That is what I was thinking.

If you haven't already, try some different brands of blades to see if you can find one that gives you a good shave and doesn't fight with you so much to get in and out of the razor. The Darwin is great razor, it's worth the hunt.

Yes, I love the shave from it. It's the best DE I've ever used. I've tried several different blades from Personna 74s to Gillette Yellows to IPs to Voskhods and they all are the same - hard to get on and off.

Hi all.

I've a Darwin DE in which is very hard to get a blade on and even harder to remove the blade.

I came across the below Darwin DE - not mine, one I've found for sale - and noticed the blade pins are halved, or look cut in half or a little more than half. The blade pins on the one I do own, are not like this and are fully rounded pins.

My question is, which is it supposed to be? How is yours? Did mine get through manufacture without being finished?

It doesn't affect the shave, I just wish loading and unloading the blade on mine wasn't such a chore. I just know I'm going to slice my finger off one of these days. It's almost as if I have to stretch the blade to get it to go down on both pins. And when I finally do get it onto both pins, it's warped a bit until I tighten it down and that straightens it out. If mine had half pins like the one in the photo below, I think the blade would fit perfectly.

So yes, how is yours? Full rounded pins or half pins?

Easy answer, this one was modified. Look at the plating next to the pins, obvious damage to the finish indicating a file or something similar. If it was factory most likely that would have been done before plating, or even in the casting mold itself, and there would be no scratches.

The blades are a little tough to pull off of my Darwin too. It doesn't really bother me, though. I imagine it just means they sit nice and stable during the shave.

Easy answer, this one was modified. Look at the plating next to the pins, obvious damage to the finish indicating a file or something similar. If it was factory most likely that would have been done before plating, or even in the casting mold itself, and there would be no scratches.

That's what I was thinking. I was going to bid on it to have a back-up because this particular razor is one fine shaving tool, but I think I'll pass since it's now obvious it's been modified by someone. Thanks again.

Intrigued

I agree that the razor was modified by someone after it left the factory, but that isn't plating damage that your seeing. Just for the record, the Darwin Deluxe isn't plated. It is made out of solid cobalt steel.

I agree that the razor was modified by someone after it left the factory, but that isn't plating damage that your seeing. Just for the record, the Darwin Deluxe isn't plated. It is made out of solid cobalt steel.

If it is not plated, i hope the steel is stainless. Is it?

Gotcha. Looked plated on my phone. Still learning the fine details. They must have spent few quality minutes with the polishing wheel, shiny!

If it is not plated, i hope the steel is stainless. Is it?

The Darwin Deluxe is solid cobalt steel. It is not plated and I don't believe cobalt is stainless. Being solid steel, you can polish it and it looks brands new. I had a jeweler friend of mine polish mine up and you wouldn't think it had ever seen a whisker.

What I can tell you is it is the most beautiful and best shaving DE razor I have ever found. This is my favorite DE razor. Mine has the full round pins and yes, that one was modified after it left the factory. I too, found that different blades fit differently in the razor. Some are easier then others to remove but I learned a little trick to avoid cutting my fingers. I use a small plastic label scraper (or they also use them as citrus peelers to get the rind off of oranges) to remove the blade if it stuck on. I have attached a picture below of a similar scraper.
$MA PLASTIC LABEL SCRAPER 375.jpg
I slide the scraper in from the side of the blade under the blade and place my thumb on top of the blade (where the orange label being scraped off is above). I DO NOT slide this in by the cutting edge...just by the wings on the side. I then use the plastic scraper as a lever to pop the end of the blade off of one side of the base plate and then the blade comes off easily. Hope this helps you out.

Yea the pins should not be halved. I find it harder to line up the blade than actually removing it. The razor shaves dam close though :lol:

ive seen this razor online before and also last night on a anonimus sight which a few of yous may know because it is by far not anominus

hi all
i have had a darwin for a couple of years now ,great razor ,however very aggresive with normal blades , i did manage to get 500 blades with it all new and boxed , i could sell some at the right price , they are twice as thick as a normal blade , shave much better .normal blades tend not to fit that great .
rac.

Top Bottom